Upgrading Old Speakers with Sonos

binngone111

Standard Member
Reaction score
As a relative novice in the home theatre field i would like some advice regarding sonos speakers. From what I've come across Sonos are connected via an ethernet cable or maybe wireless as well. I have a 5.1 set up already which is quite old and dated and was wondering would i be able to upgrade to a sonos system and connect them to existing speaker once the old speakers are removed? I have an ethernet connection where my existing AV receiver is if that helps. Apologies if the question shows my naivety in this field

Thanks in advance for your help.

SONOS ‘speakers’ are not designed to work with a conventional Stereo Amp or AVR.

SONOS ‘speakers’ are self powered and also include streaming technology to allow you to play back music on individual speakers, pair them to suit larger spaces or group speakers to play the same source across multiple zones (rooms).

SONOS have the BEAM and ARC Soundbar options - they can be used standalone to deliver a virtual surround effect or paired with a SUB and additional SONOS speakers for a wireless Surround system.

What kit do you have, what is the room layout and which source devices do you want to support?

Joe

SONOS ‘speakers’ are not designed to work with a conventional Stereo Amp or AVR.

SONOS ‘speakers’ are self powered and also include streaming technology to allow you to play back music on individual speakers, pair them to suit larger spaces or group speakers to play the same source across multiple zones (rooms).

SONOS have the BEAM and ARC Soundbar options - they can be used standalone to deliver a virtual surround effect or paired with a SUB and additional SONOS speakers for a wireless Surround system.

What kit do you have, what is the room layout and which source devices do you want to support?

Joe

Thank you for your reply. I have a 5.1 set up with onkyo receiver, mordaunt short sub and orbs speakers. I wanted to replace the whole setup so would I not need ant cables for the sonos, i do want to create a surround sound feel for movies and gaming.

SONOS - whilst using a pair of ‘Play’ speakers as the surround channels will not require a wired connection between the SONOS Soundbar and the Surrounds you will require power at both surround speakers.

Wired system - is burying your cables or adding a suitable surface mounted conduit not an option to tidy up the wiring issue?

Joe

Im planning to add some sound proof panelling to the wall so ill be able to hide any new cabling. What do you suggest run cat 5/6 cables from each speaker to where the sonos receiver will go?

Last edited:
Current system - I would consider a new AVR and retain your speakers and sub, you could consider adding height speakers and go with an AVR which supports Atmos.

SONOS - there are no cables to run between the BEAM or ARC Soundbar and the Sub or Surround channels speakers, you do have to get power to the Surrounds and Sub.

Room and Room layout - are key whichever system you go with.

Sound proofing - is the aim to stop sound going outside of the room?

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks one again for your response. Yes the panelling is to keep the sound inside the room as much as possible.

So i will need to run PoE to the back wall for the surrounds. I have power already near the front for the sub. Is this right?

I could keep it simple and change my avr but i have my heart set on a Sonos set up now

I am looking at getting a Sonos Beam, Sub and 2 One SL's.

Will I still only require power to the sub and the One SLs

The SONOS Beam, Sub and One SL all require Mains power - PoE is not an option for the One SL.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom