Answered Upgrading Old PC

JonnyConcrete

I have dug out my old PC and I want to upgrade the gfx card and memory but I've been out of the loop for a long time and am very rusty when it comes to PC components.

I want to use it for Flight Simulator X and Aces High 2 and anything else it will be able to play. Its going to be a long time before I can afford a decent PC again so Im hoping if I spend £100 max on this PC I will be able to play the fore mentioned games on high settings.

Here is dxdiag of the PC....

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7369
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 956MB used, 4001MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9442&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/25/2009 22:41:10, 325120 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

So Im hoping to upgrade the graphics card and memory. Not sure whether the motherboard can take anything newer than ddr2?

I will probably also need a new psu as the current one is only 405w.

Any help, advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

sep8001

It might be worth looking for a newer used PC. I bought a used hp 8200 which had an i5 CPU with a gt210 gpu for about £120 and it already had windows 7 installed.

jassco

Distinguished Member
Xp is a dead operating system now and that processor is, as you say, ancient. It's not worth spending anything on that pc at all I'm afraid. Can you push your budget and get a console instead?

andiuk007

Banned

aslird

Buy once, buy right.....
You are better off saving up some more money and get a more modern second hand PC.

jassco

Distinguished Member
Actually I stand corrected after looking at the games you want to play. I wouldn't even bother with something like a 750ti - go second hand and pick up a card for £20 like a 460 or even lower. Check your motherboard and psu can handle it and you'll be fine playing those games on high settings.

Last edited:

andiuk007

Banned
This part of the forum has gone mad! The OP has £100 for a GPU which he can carry to his new build once he has saved some money and people are advising buying a £20 second hand GPU, if I've missed something please someone explain?

This part of the forum has gone mad! The OP has £100 for a GPU which he can carry to his new build once he has saved some money and people are advising buying a £20 second hand GPU, if I've missed something please someone explain?

Opinions, everyone has one. Your GPU choice and budget were within the OP's requested budget, while others have chosen different choices (Buy a new one, or dont even bother spending £100).

Enough please.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom