Upgrading my TV/Sound system but I have layout concerns

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by farmergiles65, Jul 1, 2015.

1. farmergiles65

farmergiles65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

My blu-ray player from Panasonic recently blew its wiring after 6 years of use. It was connected to a home theatre system which comprised of several speakers, some in front and two behind me. Unfortunately the connectors and wires for these have been outdated now and so I'm forced to upgrade my whole system. Given that my Plasma 1080P Full HD 42 inch TV is also 6-7 years old I felt I should get in on these trade-in deals that Currys offer and grab myself something new, maybe a Samsung, but I'm flexible with brands.

I don't watch a lot of TV it has to be said other than the odd show on BBC HD, but I do own Blu-rays particularly action movies or similar that have high visual spectacles to them.

I have an IKEA BESTA unit from years ago which has a rail that I can mount the TV to but I can't recall what the recommended maximum size was for a TV to be attached to it. Given that TV bezel's are thinner now I've measured that I can fit a 48 inch TV in there fine and hopefully without issue from the unit rail. As for sound I was considering a half decent 300 Watt soundbar rather than messy speakers. I've measured and I think I can fit a small soundbar below the TV once it's up on the rail as they only have a height of around 60mm.

However I have some concerns due to the layout of my flat/space. My viewing distance when I'm laid on my sofa which is a giant corner sofa is 3m and when I look at charts it seems to say that that kind of distance has only any decent point when you're watching a 65 inch TV. Apparently I'm supposed to be like barely 6 feet away from the TV for a 48 inch one when using modern day 1080P or Full 4K HD.

That's one hell of a reorganisation in my flat to accomodate that. I've attached some photos of my flat layout (excuse the mess I've a lot of empty game boxes and junk to chuck down the tip so I'm kind of all over the place at the moment) where my TV is concerned - perhaps you experts could help me choose a suitable upgrade that will enable me to get the most out of my action blu-rays. You can see that my corner sofa is one of those "long" ones with a tiny bit sticking out at the end and I have my chair. Yes I could move the chair to within 6 feet but I'd like to watch my programmes lazing comfortably back on my sofa if possible. Oh yeah and I'm not entirely straight facing the TV either, I'm at a mild angle, less than 20-30 degrees.

DSC_1346.JPG
    DSC_1347.JPG

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    @farmergiles65

your thread has been moved to the Home Cinema Buying, Setup & General Help forum.

Curly

3. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    The viewing distance charts are reflecting the fact that given an increase in resolution you can get much closer to the TV before you start being able to make out individual pixels.

You are not loosing out on anything sitting beyond this distance other than the picture will look smaller but as you are moving up from a 42 to a 48 (or thereabouts) then that really is of no consequence.

I certainly would not reorganise my living space to try and hit an optimal 6ft viewing distance.

What it does mean though is that at your viewing distance you are not getting any real visual benefit from say a 4K TV in terms of perceivable resolution in any case.

Given that there are new standards coming out for 4K Blu Ray that will include things like HDR, a wider gamut than currently used and greater bit-depth, things that are not really available in any TV yet, you may be better advised to save some cash and get another 1080p set.

The only issue that I can see is that you are coming from Plasma and may be disappointed with the performance of many of the "budget" LED TV's out there.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    I would hang on to your current TV for at least another year - as Ghostrider points out the next/first generation of UHD with HDR Displays with full compatibility with the New Ultra-HD Blu-ray Discs/players arrive later this year.

You can pick up a budget BD Player for now to use with your current kit and once Ultra-HD BD and compatible Displays arrive upgrade then.

Sound bars are a compromise - better to plan out the positioning and wiring for a decent 5.1 system.

You don't need to move any closer to a new Display - being further back is preferable for a lot of folk who find horizontal motion an issue if sat too close.

2160p is quickly going to replace 1080p in terms of new Displays coming to the market.

Joe

5. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    As mentioned by Joe and Ghostrider, there is'nt future proof options right now. But IMHO at least 55" tv would be minimum, if buying new. But then you should visit IKEA too :)