Upgrading my TDL RTL3 speakers

Laubau

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my TDL RTL 3s for over 20years now and have used them as front speakers in my home cinema system. They have always sounded great for music but I've always had trouble matching them with a suitable centre for films. At the moment I have a q acoustics 1000c which sounds ok but a bit hollow if I can put it that way compared to the RTLs.
Now I was thinking of replacing the front and centre with the new 6th generation Monitor audio bronze c150 centre and bronze 200 or the silver c150 and silver 200. My question is will these be an improvement over my current setup and will they sound just as good for music? Thanks

Hi all,

I have had my TDL RTL 3s for over 20years now and have used them as front speakers in my home cinema system. They have always sounded great for music but I've always had trouble matching them with a suitable centre for films. At the moment I have a q acoustics 1000c which sounds ok but a bit hollow if I can put it that way compared to the RTLs.
Now I was thinking of replacing the front and centre with the new 6th generation Monitor audio bronze c150 centre and bronze 200 or the silver c150 and silver 200. My question is will these be an improvement over my current setup and will they sound just as good for music? Thanks

That is tricky question to answer. I think your best bet would be to call RS and talk a good deal of the Silver LCR. And then use their home demo* option which they give you for Silver 200 and C150. Get them to your home and compare directly to TDL, that is the best way to be sure! Another option could be Silver 300 as mains if RS is willing to make good deal for you. They are not much larger, but just enough to have larger bass drivers and own midrange driver (3-way). But if you have smaller room or have to keep speakers closer to boundaries then S200 could be wiser pick. Recommendations for space behind speakers S200: 20-36cm, S300: 30-61cm and more for side walls!

*We now offer an extended exchange period on selected products, while our stores are temporarily closed. Audition in the comfort of your own home and enjoy the reassurance that you have made the right choice, or if you’re not completely satisfied, exchange in-store for a different product any time up to 14 days after our stores re-open

PS. Which receiver you have? Subwoofer? You plan to keep old speakers as surrounds?

Hi thanks for the reply
The home demo feature that RS is promoting would they take back the speakers for a refund or just exchange?
In terms of budget and size I wouldnt want to go further than the silver 200.
I have an old Sony STRDB930 that I will probably upgrade to a Dolby Atmos amp in the future, for surrounds I have monitor audio r180 and a wharfedale sw120 sub.

Hi thanks for the reply
The home demo feature that RS is promoting would they take back the speakers for a refund or just exchange?
In terms of budget and size I wouldnt want to go further than the silver 200.
I have an old Sony STRDB930 that I will probably upgrade to a Dolby Atmos amp in the future, for surrounds I have monitor audio r180 and a wharfedale sw120 sub.

Give them call and ask direct! :) Looks like you have very old receiver from around 1999, but seems decent so you get started.

Few more options if you were to go blind buy:

Found pair of white Silver 200 for 650£ as 2nd hand, but sadly the person lives quite far away.

And natural Oak pair brand new open box pair for 750£.

Earlier version of Silver 200 in walnut great condition. 27minute drive from Liverpool, 490£!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi i have the same RTL3 i bought in Lisbon Portugal 10 years ago used they had problems like rotted surroyndings and One Tweeter wasn't working so i went to a store and they put new rubber more like some kind of foram different from factory because there was no replacement and i noticed One tweeter is not working so i wonder if there are replacemants i don't want to mess with the goles or exterior look i need to buy 2 to match the sound, if anyone can help i appreciate in advance thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230120_002749.jpg
    IMG_20230120_002749.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 9

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom