Upgrading my system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bjp1979, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my system.

Over the last few months, I have been focusing on upgrading my cables and leads so that any hardware upgrades will be maximised immediately. I think the only thing remaining in the leads path is my front speaker cable.

Anyway - I move into my first house in September, and want a killer system that will facilitate movies but provide high quality sound for house / dance / bassy music.

My current system is (all running into a Merlin Tarantula 8 way mains block and directly into wall sockets, with Russ Andrews Silencer and Russ Andrews Mini Purifier plugged in also)

Tv: Samsung 40" Le40F86BD (upgraded mains cable to Merlin Tarantula)
    Dvd: Denon 1940 (Upgraded mains cable to Kimber Fig 8 / QED Qunex SR HDMI and QED Qunex Optical lead)
    PS3: (Upgraded to Merlin Black Widow mains cable / Chord Company Optichord Optical Cable, linked to TV with QED SR HDMI)
    CD Player: Cambridge Azur 540 (Upgraded to Russ Andrews Classic power cable, QED Qunex phono interconnects)
    Amstrad Sky SD box (using Cambridge standard phono connects)
    AV Amp: Yamaha HTR5550 amp (I think this might be a good place to start for an upgrade)
    Speakers: Front - Wharfedale diamond 8.4 floorstanders (or is it 8.3?) Centre: Wharfedale Pacific, rear - Wharfedale Pacific wall speakers. Subwoofer: KEF PSW3500 (or could be 3000 - using QED Qunex Subwoofer lead - its quite a large oval shape unit)
    Speaker cable: QED Silver cable - biwired and biwire cable for the centre speaker.

I have several questions:

Will my Denon 1940 be better for playing CDs than the Cambridge Azur 540?
    I would like an AV amp one stop shop that will handle Cds just as well as movie surround sound formats.

Saying that, I would consider a cheaper AV amp (maybe £600) that offers good surround sound, and a same brand Integrated amp (around £400) that I can bi-amp for use for stereo sound from the CD player from the front speakers.

If I go for an all in one amp - I was looking at the Onkyo 875.

I'm happy with the lead upgrades I have made - the Russ Andrews / Merlin gear has really improved sound - the bass on the Cambridge Azur CD is a lot punchier sounding than before.

What would the recommendations be? Better speaker cable? Better Amp / CD player?

Thanks

Ben

2. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. dablk

dablk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I would personally not bi amp two intergrated amps.

You would then have two volume seperate controls for bass and treble. Yes you can try and set one and leave it ....its just a bit messy... Personally. Your probably better just buying a power amp for your fronts.

Or spending all of it on a beast of an av.

I have not bought an av amp in ages so i cant reccomend whats good or not, but Superfi currently do the audiolab av pre/power for a grand.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3064

bet that has some punch and in audiolab style you can do various options with bridging if you "only" have a 5.1 system

4. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really after something that will allow for HDMI links and to allow me to get the latest sound formats from Blu Ray...

5. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would adding a DAC to my older AV amp help the performance?