Question Upgrading My System - Advice Needed

rubytoody1968

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all

Having dusted off the cobwebs from my vinyl collection early last year I took a trip down to Richer and came away with a Project Essential II turntable, Cambridge Audio AM10 amp and the Dali Zensor 1 standmounts. Added a Yamaha CD player later in the year.

I have been more than happy with the set up, but like everyone always looking for better kit, and then I saw the Tannoy Precision 6.1 speakers on offer and so have today collected them. I'm wondering now though whether my Amp will do them justice and therefore looking for some advice...........what Amp would peeps recommend, or should I stick with the AM10?
I know cost has a big part to play so my maximum would be up to £500/£600

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't get too hung up on amps, room acoustics and speakers are your biggest factors assuming the amplifier isn't incompetent.

While amplifiers do have a house sound the most important question should be is it appropriate for your speakers? By that I mean how efficient are your speakers and does your amp have the watts and more importantly and mostly overlooked enough current to drive they with headroom?

A heavy amplifier is a good indication of current but if you have efficient speakers (which has zero indication of quality, just a different design approach) then while headroom is never a bad thing it isn't really necessary and less likely to be money well spent.

If you've demanding speakers (say mid 80s dB and below) which typically are closed box designs and often smaller cabinets you can have a £3k low powered valve amp but if it isn't fit for pupose it will sound feeble, distorted and lacking dynamics. With some massive open baffle monsters it may sound wonderful. Likewise I've used a £40 digital amp weighing virtually nothing and the size of a VHS with mid range efficient speakers and not disgrace its self up against the best part of £2ks worth of pre and power amp separates.

Don't let a salesman talk you in to an amp from the perspective of the amp, research what your speakers need from an amp and make an informed decision.

fwiw, I know it may sound boring and not something that very few indulge in is room treatments and acoustic panels for your room. as mentioned speakers (along with correct placement) and room acoustics are the "vast" majority of what makes great sound quality not amps or wires or what ever an audio salesman might try selling you. do your self a favor and do a little research on room acoustics and maybe spend some money in this direction. you wont regret it .

Just to add to Smasher's point, that doesn't necessarily mean unsightly panels donning your room. Of course we'd love to have a dedicated room and in a multipurpose room acoustic treatment often isn''t practical or asthetically acceptable.

That doesn't mean disregard it though, there are many low impact products which can become features (I actually quite like some of the wooden diffusers which wouldn't look out of place in the Tate Modern! but the picture panels I find a bit naff. I digress, the point was really more about soft furnishing, rungs, curtains and even book shelfs, think about first reflection points and boom.

While I can't flat out criticize the Cambridge AM10, it is a pretty basic low end amp currently selling for £150 and with a modest but functional 35w/ch to 8 ohms. In my opinion, if you have a weak link, that is it.

Topaz AM10 Integrated Amplifier

The Essential II turntable is not the best, but certainly a functional turntable. The "II" version has a nice tonearm, but likely a very basic Cartridge. So, another potential upgrade would be to a better Cartridge. The Ortofon 2M Red is popular and sells for about £85. Though there are other options. The Ortofon 2m Red is comes standard on other Project Turntables.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems - Essential II

Ortofon 2M Red MM Cartridge

Very nice speakers, I think the Tannoy Precision 6.1 have a Retail Cost of about £900/pr. Though in a quick search, I found them for £400/pr.

Tannoy - Precision 6.1 Bookshelf Speakers

If you like the Cambridge Audio sound, then consider the Cambridge 651A Integrated Amp with 75w/ch and a USB-PC Input for about £250 -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651A Black Stereo Amplifier

Though there are many other amps to consider.

Next, if you are going to upgrade the amp, you need to think about how you are going to use it, and what additional features you need?

The USB Port on the Cambridge 651A makes it very easy to connect the amp to a Computer.

However, if TV watching is involved, then you will likely need a DAC (digital to analog converter) and an Optical input, if you want TV sound through your speakers for movies.

As a low cost alternative to the Cambridge, the Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch, DAC, Phono) for about £200 is an exceptional bargain.

YAMAHA AS501Black Stereo Amplifier

This Yamaha has a DAC with Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs. Some computers do have Optical or Coaxial Outputs, but mostly that feature would be used to connect a modern TV to the Stereo system for Movie watching.

Also, there is a very nice Yamaha Network Receiver (RN602, £450, 80w/ch, DAC, Phono) that has both Bluetooth and Network Streaming capability, including Streaming from Internet Radio and Internet Streaming services like Spotify and Pandora.

NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver!!!

So, these are the things you need to consider -

- Budget - How much can you spend for an upgrade?

- Features - Besides a basic amp, what other features would you like the system to have? Tone Controls? Phono Input? DAC? Streaming?

- How will the system be used? That is, obviously music, but TV? Movies? Computer Based Music? Other?

Depending on the more minute details of your system, I would suspect for about $300 to $350, you could upgrade to a very nice system. (Cartridge + Amp)

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input......great having such a depth of knowledge and experience available on the forum

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom