• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Upgrading my setup

Drunkbag

Novice Member
Hi guys.
I am looking to upgrade my current bedroom desktop setup.
I have the Equator D5's connected to a Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp.
It's hard to say what the budget is, because in Israel an amp that costs $1500 for example, can range from 5000-8000 ILS.

The speakers I am mostly interested in are the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Luna, Dali Menuet and ATC SCM7v3.
The amps I was looking at re the Arcam SA20 and the Audiolab 6000A, which are in different price brackets.

My bedroom is very small - about 4x4 meters, so I won't be listening at high volumes.

I would say my use would be 50/50 for music and video games.

Any opinions on the components I mentioned?
I would like to hear alternative options too of course!

muljao

Prominent Member
Might you be better off just replacing your schiit with a dac/preamp with proper rca volume control and more plenty inputs, something like an Arcam irdac 2?
Do you have youe speakers on good stands?

Drunkbag

Novice Member
Might you be better off just replacing your schiit with a dac/preamp with proper rca volume control and more plenty inputs, something like an Arcam irdac 2?
Do you have youe speakers on good stands?
I don't have them on stands but I was planning on getting the IsoAcoustics.
I thought about the option of replacing the Schiit stack with a dac/preamp but I am still not very happy with the Equator's. They are a bit dull.
I thought about getting the Acoustic Energy AE1 active's, but I'd rather go the passive route so I will have a little bit more "modularity" for future upgrades.

muljao

Prominent Member
The speakers you are looking at are quite good but small. You could probably look at slightly larger ones in your room, those small ones your looking at are quite expensive as they are small but don't perform like small speakers so to speak,so cost a premium

Drunkbag

Novice Member
My desk space is quite limited, that's why I'm going for the smaller speakers
What other speakers would you suggest at that price point?
Also, what do you think about the Arcam SA20?

muljao

Prominent Member
Oh I see. I worded it badly, just meant you could probably get better value with slightly bigger less expensive speakers.

I'd be lying to comment on that amp, I haven't heard it. It looks like it gets favourable write ups so I'd guess it's a good contender.

This one might also be worth a look

Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier

6moons audioreviews: Yamaha AS-801

Might also pen in dynaudio emit m10 or m20 on your speakers list

Drunkbag

Novice Member
Strangely enough the Yamaha costs almost 300USD more than the Arcam SA20 here in Israel,
so I think I might as well just go for the Arcam.

I did consider those Dynaudio's, and also the Excite X14, but I prefer something with a front port, or optimized to be close/hung on a wall like the Dali Menuet's.

There's also the Focal Aria 906 which are quite cheap here.

muljao

Prominent Member
Strangely enough the Yamaha costs almost 300USD more than the Arcam SA20 here in Israel,
so I think I might as well just go for the Arcam.

I did consider those Dynaudio's, and also the Excite X14, but I prefer something with a front port, or optimized to be close/hung on a wall like the Dali Menuet's.

There's also the Focal Aria 906 which are quite cheap here.
Seems like you've a good handle on respected gear that meet your needs and are in your particular market, everything you've mentioned is pretty desirable kit

Drunkbag

Novice Member
Well, when it comes to speakers I'm actually quite limited.
Out of everything I named, only the Focal 906 are available in my country, the rest I have to order from abroad.
The Focal 906's are the only ones that have a surprisingly low price, while other speakers can cost up to 100% more than they should.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Priced per pair right? Sometimes they price per speaker..

Drunkbag

Novice Member
Yup, per pair.
For example, the Dali Opticon 2's cost $1000 on Amazon, and approximately $1700 in Israel
About the same price gap with the Monitor Audio Silver 100
Price gaps in brands like Elac and Sonus Faber are even greater
The Arcam SA20 costs about $1300 which is acceptable, so that might be my only option really
The only decision I am left with is which speakers should I order from abroad

Andywilliams

Established Member
Hi I used to use a Arcam A39 to drive my Atc scm 11s which it did quite nicely should think the sa20 would be fine with the scm7s I haven't heard the sa20 but arcams amps have got a house sound so should be a safe bet.

Matazz

Novice Member
The Arias 906 are fantastic speakers for the price, and the Audiolab 6000a is uncommonly good for its price bracket too. Best still, they go amazingly well together! My guess is this combination might be better than systems costing twice as much. I have reached this pairing after many hours of testing and listening in my local hifi shop. So, if you can, give this combo a listen. My twopence :)

Edwinbugatti

Novice Member
Yup, I'm pretty much set on the Arcam
I just need to decide which speakers should I get
Dis you get a a good set of speakers to pair well with the Arcam? I also own the SA-20 and am currently using a pair of Polk Audio Rti8s and they sound good. I'm torn between which speakers to pair the Arcam with.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom