1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading My Set Up - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Big Kev, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Big Kev

Big Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the following set up:

Mission 774's
    Pioneer DV912 AV Amp
    Marantz 6000 CD Player
    Pioneer 656A DVD player

I'm happy enough with the AV Amp, speakers and DVD player, but have been advised to upgrade the CD player, get a hi fi amp and good biwirable speaker cables.

What CD player/hifi amp and speaker cables would you recommend and how would the AV and hi fi amp's connect, I've normally used the AV amp and cd player with a coaxial, so I'm need any simply put advice you can give me.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    What is your budget for amp & CDP?

To connect it all up you will need to have pre-outs on your AV amp (don't know if your AV amp has these).
    In an ideal situation you will get a HiFi amp that has a proccessor mode. This means that when watching a DVD etc via the AV amp the HiFi amp bypasses its own volume control and volume is set via the AV amp. It just makes life a little simpler. If not then you need to set up the AV amp with the volume on the HiFi amp set to a certain point and make sure it is a that point when watching a DVD etc.
    To connect it all together you will need a pair of phono leads to connect from the pre-outs on the AV to an input on the HiFi.
    Connect the front L/R speakers to the HiFi amp.
    Connect the CD player and any other HiFi equipment to the HiFi amp.
    Leave the DVD player connected to the AV amp.

The HiFi amp will normally not have a coax/optical input, so connect the CDP with standard phono leads.

Mark.

3. Big Kev

Big Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My budget for the amp and cd player would be around £700/£800.

Any ideas as to what models?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    With £7-800 to spend you have loads of options.
    You could get very similar to me. A second hand set up of Arcam 8R integrated amp and an 8P power amp for around £200 would give you bi-amped speakers and then a second hand Arcam CD62/72t CDP for around £300 or even an CD82/92t if you can find them. The CD72/82/92t have been replaced by the CD73/83/93t so some bargains could also be had. Any of These IMHO would make a great HiFi system.
    You can also look at Rotel, Marantz, Nad and many others, both second hand and new. You can mix the make of CDP & amp, but you MUST demo them and see what you like the sound of!

Mark.

5. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Kev - if you can push the budget a little further you could go for a Roksan Kandy Mk 3 Amp which is a storming performer and the matching Kandy CD player - I think combined they will cost you about £1000 but well worth a look at and nice bits of kit.

The other option is to look at the Mission Cyrus range which are currently doing well and offer upgrade-ability similar to that offered normally by Arcam.

Thought that the Pioneer was not a bad player of CD's - just how much are you planning on using the system for CD's?

All other suggestions you have had so far sound good to me too. Let us know what you go for!

Andy C

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As andymc has suggested,the Pioneer has a reputation of being quite a reasonable CD player(as DVD players go)and really does do well on SACD/DVD-A.
    It may be worth putting more into the amp/cabling end of things....you would have to audition the Pioneer with a few amps,and decide if the sound quality is worth it,especially with high res sources such as DVD-A and SACD.

7. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Arcam CD82/92 + Arcam A85