1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading my screen 16:9 or 4:3 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Brian the Sn@il, May 19, 2005.

1. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have lived with my Owl 6ft Wide 4:3 screen for just over 4 years now, the Sim2 DLP is also the same age.

The living room is having major works carried out and will increase the size of the room 2 fold :)

Now im looking at a larger screen, a 8foot wide one.
    Iknow that the Ole Sim 2 hasnt a very high Brightness, but in the future i may upgrade that as well, but not at the moment.

But now the question to you all

Shall i go 16:9 or stick with 4:3

looking at the OWL motorised screen, the 8ft wide 16:9 screen woould have the same hight as my old Owl 6 foot 4:3 anyway

so i would only increase in width if i watched a wide screen film ?

heres the link to the owl screens.

http://www.intoav.com/projectors/projector_screens/projector_screens_owl.htm

2. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    goodness me 44 views and no replies :(

Well i spoke to my local AV dealer this morning and informs me all the new Sim2 projectors are now 16:9

I was looking to upgrade int he near future.

So it seems that a 8foot Electric 16:9 Owl screen is the order for the day.
    They are taking my 3 year old 6 foot electric owl screen as part exchange.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    The advice I took was for a 4:3 projector use a 4:3 screen - for a 16:9 PJ use a 16:9 screen.
    As it turns out 90% of what I watch is 16:9 or wider but it's nice to have the extra at the top and bottom for the off 4:3 football match or video game etc.
    As you pointed out there is no width difference and I don't find I notice the white above and below when watching widescreen footage.

I built my screen for about £22 - if I'd been buying a £100's screen I would probably have gone for a 16:9 screen but I can't be sure.

Don't take the views/posts thing personally - it's pretty slow in here and I doubt the viewers had much to offer, the choice is pretty personal.

4. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy.

To be honest i never notice the white screen at teh top or bottom when viewing 16:9 on the 4:3 6 foot screen.

Think ill go the 8 Foot 16:9 screen in readyness for the New Sim 2 which i plan to buy in the next couple of years :)