1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading my Sanyo LCD to DLP!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rads, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Rads

Rads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've currently got a Sanyo PLV30 LCD PJ, and am very happy with it. I have an opportunity to get a BenQ DX660 DLP *brand new* for about 1K.

I think this is too good an offer to turn down. The BenQ will offer me a superior native resolution, 2000 lumens as apposed to 500, RGB input.

I'm also hoping that my Sanyo is still worth about 1K second-hand, so the upgrade won't cost me anything. How much do people think the Sanyo is worth? And where's the best place to sell it?

I'm basically looking for a little advice/reassurance, should I take the plundge? Is the BenQ worth it?

NB. I mainly use the projector for movies and sport.

TIA

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Think a PLV30 is worth nearer £650 ish s/h. Make sure you see the BENQ first.

Gordon

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon knows his stuff....... but i'd suggest he is a bit on the high side....... Ive had offers in the region of £550 and have never received an offer above £600 for mine.

ad

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

2000 Lumens at 600:1 contrast ratio is going to give you pretty poor black levels for home cinema use.

I would definitely recommend that you see the projector working before making a purchase.

There is also the possibility that you might suffer from rainbows. Make sure you watch some dark scenes with small bright objects in as these show the problem up the most.

Steve

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Yes I agree - check for the rainbows. Move your eyes from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen to see if you can see them