Upgrading my pioneer 717 advice please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amrds, Dec 9, 2003.

1. amrds

amrds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my dvd player (pio 717) but not sure which route to take. It currently connects to an ASK C100 projector (LCD native XGA) via s-video. Have tried connecting via scart rgb to its VGA input (using a CSR 2200 sync seperator) but the projector couldnt handle it (didnt seem to like the resolution).

Would it be better to upgrade the dvd player and still use s-video or find a solution to use the VGA input (scaler?). The projector has DVI, VGA, s-video and composite inputs (no component). I have a budget of £500.

I would quite like to have DVD-A and SACD capabilities but picture quality is the priority.

Any advice/opinions?

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're stuck with S-Video I don't think changing the DVD player will improve matters really as the 717 is an excellent player!

If picture is priority, I'd look into options to get the RGB/VGA socket working properly (assuming it does support RGB via the D-Sub connection), then see how you feel about the quality before changing the dvd player.

3. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    How about a player with DVI-out, such as the Momitsu, which supports custom resolutions?

4. amrds

amrds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies.

Have looked into the momitsu/brainwave/bravo d1/samsung 935 but am concerned they are hdcp enabled and the projector wont accept it. Plus getting them in the UK isnt that easy.

Have also seen a scaler - brite view - but reviews were mixed.

Have a HTPC setup via DVI and although the picture quality is amazing, the stutter/judder seen on slow pans was annoying and as its also used as a gaming pc, switching between htpc mode and game mode is tedious.

Would either the DVD players above or a scaler suffer the same slow pan judders as the htpc?

Having spent £50 on the CSR2200 and it not working properly I want to make sure anything I get will be compatible. :suicide:

5. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just upgraded to a Pioneer 668 from a Pioneer 717.

There was nothing wrong with my 717 but I fancied an upgrade and am happy with my choice, the 717 is now in my conservatory.

The picture quality is great and I think the layer change is slightly quicker too. It also picks up the 6.1 DTS-EX flag better than my 717 which didn't auto switch when watching R1 The Haunting.

It is physically smaller than the 717. As the 717 has lasted me well I wanted something that would hopefully last me as long so I stuck with the same manufacturer.