Upgrading my PC! (Need part recommendations)

xHybridx

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a complete upgrade to my current computer (first upgrade to my PC in almost 4 years). I'm not really interested in upgrading my motherboard to one that has a PCI-x16 video card slot, as I'd rather just keep the AGP supported one I currently have to save money. I'm just trying to get the best parts I possibly can for an AGP based PC. I'm hoping to keep my current Power Supply, Hard Drives, and Motherboard, and just get a new Video Card, Processor, and Memory.

I don't really have much of a budget, but want to stay around the $400 area.

Here are my current specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ (-C)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) , MMX, 3DNow, ~1.1GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Power Supply: TurboCase Aspire 500w Dual Fan Aluminum Power Supply (ATX-AS500W 12V)
Video Card: ATI 128 Rage

First I want to make sure that I get the absolute best AGP NVidia Video Card I can, the reason I'm wanting to stick with NVidia is because the last NVidia I had worked pretty well and I really enjoyed the easy navigation for the S-Video with Duel Monitors. After looking around, it seems as if the best AGP one that NVidia makes is the NVidia 512MB 7950GT which only costs around $80-$100 on Ebay, which is a pretty good price.

So would the best AGP video card be better than a mediocre PCI-x16 card? Would the best AGP video card for $100 be as good as a PCI-x16 video card for also $100? Because I'm looking to spend around a maximum of $100-$150 for a video card, so for that price, if I'd get an overall better video card with an AGP than I would a PCI-x16, I'd definitely stick with just getting another AGP card, and save myself the $100-$200 on getting a whole new motherboard.

I don't really upgrade my system that often, as I don't use it for gaming much, and just use it for video editing, so me "having to get a PCI-x16 just to stay up to date with the current models" wouldn't really be important to me since I only upgrade my parts every so often.

As for a processor, my current motherboard supports the following processors:
GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - 7VT600-RZ

It looks like the AMD Athlon 3200 Socket A 400MHz would be the best choice out of the list, can anyone confirm this? I'm hoping to get a processor that is pretty damn fast, as the one I currently have is absolutely horrible. It says the 3200 runs off 2.4GHz, is that good? My current is only 1.1GHz, so it seems like this one would be much faster.

As for memory, I definitely want as much as my motherboard can handle. It supports DDR400 memory, so how would 3GB of DDR400 Memory sound?

Any help would be great, thanks.

1stly, where are you from, are you talking $400 AUD, US, UK??
When I know this, I will give you some advice..

Cheers..

:thumbsup:

$400 US should buy you a new Mobo, CPU, RAM & GC with that kind of money..
This is what I would be doing.
AGP is a waist..
You will be burning your $..
Can you give me a site you have been looking at so I can give you a suitable system??
Cheers..

I haven't really been looking at any sites in particular, just looking at reviews for different types of parts I'm looking to replace.

I may go ahead and just get a new Motherboard that supports PCI-Express, but would the best AGP video card for $100 be as good as a PCI-x16 video card for also $100? Because I'm looking to spend around a maximum of $100-$150 for a video card, so for that price, if I'd get an overall better video card with an AGP than I would a PCI-x16, I'd definitely want to stick with just getting another AGP card, and save myself the $100-$200 on getting a whole new motherboard.

I will say this, a 7950 AGP for 100 US is expensive to me. Here in Aus we can buy 9800 GT OC for about 180 AUD.
I will tell you that this card would completely destroy the AGP 1..
IMO AGP is a dead format and is expensive because of it being rare, retailers always manage to take advantage of things in short quantities..
Wait for some more posts before taking my advice as gold..
Hopefully some one else can shed some light, but as I said, 9800GT OC would be about 100 US as here: eVGA GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 512P3N973TR - Compare Prices and Buy at PriceGrabber
Will run rings around the 7950 IMO...
2 gig of ram, about 35
Good mobo 150
Good CPU 150,
Total 435, BRAND NEW PC...

See how you go...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll definitely just end up upgrading my entire system, unless anyone else thinks I'd be better off getting an AGP card than I would a PCI-Express for the same price.

So would you say the NVidia 9800 is the best Nvidia PCI-Express card for the $100-$150 range?

For 100 yes, for 150 no, there are better, I just used that 1 as an example compared to the @ highest priced 7950 AGP...
Just do some more online research with what I gave you, the link, if you want a better card spending 150, you do have better options..
How deep is your pocket when it comes to a card? I have an 8800 GT 512 and your would be better and I do use this for proper gaming..
Spend your money on a better mobo and cpu as you will see the advantages of this...
Hope this helps...

Oh ok, thanks. As for the best NVidia PCI-Express card for $150, someone else recommended me getting a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16, which is only around $150.

The card seems really good to me, I'm really liking that it's 1GB, as my last NVidia was only 128MB.

Do you know if that card is worth it? I've looked up reviews and there are a lot of positive remarks about the card, and how it's better than it's previous model, the 9800.

As for the rest of my PC, I prefer to get a AMD Processor that has atleast 3.0 GHz, as for memory I'm still wanting around 3GB-4GB. I don't really have any preferences on a Motherboard, as long as it has a slot for a PCI-Express x16 and runs well, that's all that matters to me.

What would be the best Motherboard, AMD 3GHz Processor, and 4GB of Memory to go along with the Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16?

I've been recommended the following of each, but am not sure if they are compatible with this video card:

Processors
-AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 3.0 GHz ($90)
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz ($80)

Memory
-Corsair 4GB PC6200 ($50)
-4x 1gb Patriot DDR2 800 ($56)

Motherboards
-GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P ($110)
-ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ($116)

I don't really get the difference between the Phenom and Athlon processors, since they are both 3GHz and made by the same company. I don't know what the difference is between the Patriot and Consair memory either since they are both 4GB's.

Where did you get that pricing, if you can show me the site, I will price up a system for you, the old AMDs which you have both there as CPUs will not help the VC you want, I would advise on going for a Intel Dual core...
The newer AMDs are really quick and bang for buck are better value than the Intel CPUs, but out of your budget.
The Ram is fine as its from reputable manufacturers.
But if you show me a site, I would get a system together...

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
I have a E8500 and its great..
$119.99

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Same Mobo I run.

$118.99
($103.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Desktop Memory
1066 Ram not 800, which will suit well with your CPU as it is 1066 as well..
$53.99

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Nice card, Original Price: $204.99You Save: $15.00 $189.99

($159.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate $9 over your budget but when you see what your getting, brilliant value..

BRB will tally up..

$483 all up but with your rebates it will be $438 if my numbers are correct.
Your case a Full ATX or micro btw??

Last edited:
Where did you get that pricing, if you can show me the site, I will price up a system for you, the old AMDs which you have both there as CPUs will not help the VC you want, I would advise on going for a Intel Dual core...
The newer AMDs are really quick and bang for buck are better value than the Intel CPUs, but out of your budget.
The Ram is fine as its from reputable manufacturers.
But if you show me a site, I would get a system together...

24 P: I dont know why you are calling the Phenom II an old processor either, it only came out around June (2mo old)

Whats a VC? I guess you mean GPU?

Hybrid : How often do you do video editing and how often do you game?
A quad core may be more beneficial if you do lots of heavy video editing and dependant on gaming a mid range GPU should suit.

24 P: I dont know why you are calling the Phenom II an old processor either, it only came out around June (2mo old)

Phenon II, I stand corrected, its not old, as for VC, the OP new exactly what I was talking about, why bother calling it a GPU now??
He has been saying Video Card all along so I abbreviated it, is that ok, or do I have to be PC on here??
I gave him a package if you have bothered to read all the above, I am sure you can do the same if you like...
His budget is 500 US.. Go for it...

Phenon II, I stand corrected, its not old, as for VC, the OP new exactly what I was talking about, why bother calling it a GPU now??
He has been saying Video Card all along so I abbreviated it, is that ok, or do I have to be PC on here??
I gave him a package if you have bothered to read all the above, I am sure you can do the same if you like...
His budget is 500 US.. Go for it...

Excuse me? I have read the whole thread thank you
Calling it what it is (a GPU) is not being politically correct it's using the industry name, you make it sound like a new thing that people have just started calling it.

Regarding the system you specced up, you dont know the age of the OP's PSU and the GTX 260 requires at least 500W (ok so thats met) but it requires 2 6pin connectors which may not be present. And so a lower sped and lower powered card may be called for, something such as a 4770 which is a decent mid range card, but then that begs the question to the OP what resolution monitor(/s) are you using?

He did originally say he wanted the best value for money,$100-$150, I simply provided him one, he suggested a Nvidia 250, I got him a 260 within his budget.. As for the 6 pin connectors, adapters are available... RITMO 2x4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin Connector PCI-E Power Adapter bargain | CrazySales - Compare Prices & Save shopping in Australia
Whether his PSU will drive this card, we will find out, and that's up to him to figure out if he wants the card and a newer PSU or to down grade as you have suggested.
As for GPU, graphics processing unit?? This is the core, not the card, I don't go into a retail outlet and ask for a GPU, maybe you might, I have never seen them advertised as such, sorry, we might do things different on the other side of the world..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU

Last edited:
He did originally say he wanted the best value for money,$100-$150, I simply provided him one, he suggested a Nvidia 250, I got him a 260 within his budget.. As for the 6 pin connectors, adapters are available... RITMO 2x4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin Connector PCI-E Power Adapter bargain | CrazySales - Compare Prices & Save shopping in Australia
Whether his PSU will drive this card, we will find out, and that's up to him to figure out if he wants the card and a newer PSU or to down grade as you have suggested.
As for GPU, graphics processing unit?? This is the core, not the card, I don't go into a retail outlet and ask for a GPU, maybe you might, I have never seen them advertised as such, sorry, we might do things different on the other side of the world..

Graphics processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So your saying the OP should buy it in hope that his PSU can power it (eg that the 12V rails can provide enough current) otherwise he will have to go out and spend more money on a new PSU?

As it stands we are talking about GPUs, we are talking about which die to base the purchase round, eg the GTX260 is the collective names for those reference boards and the die that goes with them and then the various manufacturers make graphics cards according to that reference design. So you may buy a PowerColour graphics card based on the GTX260 GPU reference design. Back to your point we are not walking into a shop and asking for a GPU, we are discussing it on a forum.

I have not seen a post from the OP regarding the info I have gone out of my way to find, him being in the US, I have priced his package accordingly, how can I respond to his needs if I have not a response?

I know what a core processor is, I don't go into a retailer as I said, asking for a GPU, I don't split hairs, I call them what they are, Graphics Cards or Video Cards.. So what??
I might as well call a PC a CPU now, as thats the core of what you are saying..
I am not confusing the OP, I am giving him the basics of getting a better value system than he initially asked for, simple really...
Do I go into a store and ask for a, wait, Asus GPU? Gigabyte GPU, eVGA GPU etc etc?? No, Nvidia and Ati are the only manufacturers of GPUs, as a norm for gaming, yes there are others but I am not getting into that debate, the rest I mentioned before ATI and Nvidia are branded Graphics Cards or Video Cards manufacturers that use the Aforementioned GPUs...Even though they are all the same blank cards with stock coolers, re-badged, with some having better cooling and being O/Ced at stock..
CentreCom Online - Notebooks & Computers
One of the most popular resellers of PC hardware in Australia...
I don't see them calling Graphics cards GPUs...

Rather than you frivolously trying to correct my VC - GPU PCness, how about get a package together for the OP???
That's why he started this thread...

We need more information from the OP before we can fairly spec a system

The example of the website you put is because they are reselling graphics cards based on the GPU reference design.
I never said anywhere that you were confusing the OP
A computer is pretty much just the CPU as thats refers to the Processor, RAM, Data Bus, Address Bus and the Control Bus as well as there being I/O ports to connect secondary storage and other devices.
Just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Back on topic:

Lets just wait for the OP to reply back with the following questions:
How often and heavy is the video editing and gaming? eg which is done more etc?
How old is the PSU and are you able to open up the case of your comp where there will be a sticker on the PSU, are you able to take a picture of the sticker and post it?

I think that is a good starter

A computer is pretty much just the CPU........

Er.... hate to butt in but must make a small correction (if I may).

CPU = Central Processing Unit = Processor. So a computer is not just the CPU as stated.

However, reading between the lines of your post, I know what you are saying - broadly speaking you are fairly correct! :)

Alan

Hybrid : How often do you do video editing and how often do you game?
A quad core may be more beneficial if you do lots of heavy video editing and dependant on gaming a mid range GPU should suit.

I video edit quite a lot, and I use several effects for my videos which slows down the playing of the preview video, and slows my computer down in general, so hopefully a good processor and memory will fix that issue.

I'm pretty set on what Video Card and Memory I'm going to be getting:

-VC: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ($140)
-Memory: Corsair PC2 6400 2x2GB Memory ($50)

Just need to narrow down my Processor and Motherboard.

I'm wanting to order my new PC parts as soon as possible, but I currently only have around $360 available (leaving me with $170 left), so I'm hoping I can find both a Motherboard and a Processor for around $80-$90 each. The Processor I'm currently looking at is the AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 3.0 GHz for $90, which could definitely work, but with your mention of me maybe needing to get a Quad-Core instead, that may throw that idea out the window.

The PSU is about 4 years old, and yes I can take the case off to take a picture of the sticker. I'm thinking about also replacing the PSU as it's gotten pretty ****** the past few months, most likely because I rarely clean the dust and lint out of the inside of my computer. So eventually the PSU got all clogged up with **** which prevented the fan from moving, so in order to get the fan to properly move, I'd have to tap it hundreds of times with the end of a screw driver. And since the fan would sometimes be stuck, it would be blowing air out the back without a fan for several hours at a time which caused the PC to get hot and I'm suprised none of my hardware got burned out because of it. I finally decided to take the PSU out and clean it out completely, and after putting it back in the fan moved as it should, but made a lot of unusual annoying sounds, but for the past few days I haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited:
What software do you use? I have used both Nero and Aodbe Premiere, Premiere taking full use of multi core CPUs.
I would, IMO spend more on the CPU and less on the ahem GPU (VC) so you have a better editing suite.
You will not gain any benefits of having a super dooper ahem GPU over a very good one.
4 core is a must on Premiere.
Also 4 gig of ram would benefit you.
Real time rendering is a hard task for any CPU, so this is what I would advise...
Make sure your older Hard drives are compatible with your newer Mobo, sata 2 is the norm now, you just might have the older IDE ones, not to worry, most mobos do supoport 2 or 4 ide channels.
If you have sata 1 hard drives, they are also compatible with sata 2 mobos..

I have done a lot of editing in the past, this is why I have my current PC, with a 8800 GT 512, which does everything I need..
I doubt you will see a great benefit from a fantastic graphics card.
My only suggestion would be to actually get a card for editing..
I will get you a link...

Last edited:
What software do you use? I have used both Nero and Aodbe Premiere, Premiere taking full use of multi core CPUs.
I would, IMO spend more on the CPU and less on the ahem GPU (VC) so you have a better editing suite.
You will not gain any benefits of having a super dooper ahem GPU over a very good one.
4 core is a must on Premiere.
Also 4 gig of ram would benefit you.
Real time rendering is a hard task for any CPU, so this is what I would advise...
Make sure your older Hard drives are compatible with your newer Mobo, sata 2 is the norm now, you just might have the older IDE ones, not to worry, most mobos do supoport 2 or 4 ide channels.
If you have sata 1 hard drives, they are also compatible with sata 2 mobos..

I have done a lot of editing in the past, this is why I have my current PC, with a 8800 GT 512, which does everything I need..
I doubt you will see a great benefit from a fantastic graphics card.
My only suggestion would be to actually get a card for editing..
I will get you a link...

I use Sony Vegas 7 and Adobe After Effects CS2 for editing.

Speaking of my hard drives, I currently have 3 different ones, 1 internal 60GB, 1 internal 300GB, and 1 external 500GB. I've been trying to figure out how I can combine these into a single 860GB hard drive without the risk of errors and mess up's from one of the hard drives, because navigating between all 3 is the most stressful thing ever. If I can't, I'll probably just go ahead and use my external 500GB for my main HD until I can afford a to purchase a terabyte.

My two internals are IDE's and my external is USB.

Thank you for the info Hybrid

Due to RAM being so cheap and 4 being a nice number in terms of RAM, it works well in Dual Channel then 4GB of RAM is a must really. and it would appear your RAM is cheaper than ours for the same spec and same manufacturer! (stupid economy)
If you do video editing a lot then a quad core will be streets ahead of a dual core, there is an article that will show you the real world differences between having different amounts of cores which i will dig up in a sec

Regarding graphics cards, i know in the OP that you mentioned you wanted to stay with Nvidia but looking at the ATI market you could get a decent mid-range card for not too much money
eg. Newegg.com - HIS H485FN1GP Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4770 FORMULA/DI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
they are pretty much on par with each other but the 4770 has lower power requirements

Regarding the PSU, compressed air can be good for cleaning the dust out of fans and hard to reach places

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom