1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading my Missions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RayB, Aug 22, 2005.

1. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last few years I have been drawn more and more to home cinema and listen to less music, although I have some DVD-A discs which are absolutely amazing!

My current 5.1 speaker setup has evolved from an original 2 channel system and comprises the following:

Fronts – Mission 754 Freedom 5’s
    Centre – Mission 75c
    Rears – Mission 752’s (The original version not the Freedoms’s)
    Sub – Mission 78as

The above are driven by a very powerful Harmon Kardon AVR8500 Reciever which I am very happy with and the source is an Arcam DV89 DVD player.

The listening room is a fair size at 28 feet x 16 feet

Problem:

The front soundstage is not ideal with the 75c centre the main weakness. The dialogue gets a bit lost and muffled and the overall front soundstage is not particularly seamless. The amp setting for the front centre is set to small not large to direct low frequencies to the 754’s and sub which helps but still not good.
    Also, the overall 5.1 soundstage is bitty and not as seamless and integrated as I would like. The system does go loud though and fills what is a fair sized listening room.

So I am thinking of 2 options:

Option 1

a) Keep the 754’s for the fronts

then

b) Source some 752 or 753 Freedoms secondhand for the rears to replace my current 752 originals (which had different tweeters)

then

c) Source a high quality centre speaker of whatever make/model that sonically matches the 754’s to give a seamless integrated soundstage

I would be grateful for any views on whether this would be a satisfactory way forward and what centres speakers might be suitable?

Or

Option 2

a) Sell all the above on ebay or wherever

Then

b) Upgrade to a new, sonically superior, package for around £2000 (this budget would include the ebay proceeds!)

I would also be grateful for any views on this second option and what you might recommend I audition in this price range, I wonder if a range such as the Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 package would be a good starting point?

2. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any obsevations to help me with this?

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have you tried different positions for your centre speaker - and different settings.
    I have seven 753 plus two Paradigm Servo 15 and am very happy with the overall sound and the uniform soundfield.
    Before proceeding further I would definitely experiment some more.
    Looks to me your equipment is capable of desired results. :cool:

4. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep,

Tried all that and have had this setup for a few years. The centre speaker is certainly the weak link (The 75c is not rated as being a particularly good centre speaker).

Thats why I am asking for recomendations on a good replacement centre speaker that would be a good sonic match with the 754's.

5. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 753 both as a front as well as rear speakers and Infinity Beta 360 as a central. Sounds good to me. The rest of the system is Arcam DV89 as a source, Arcam A90 7.1 + Arcam P85/3.

6. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    have you considered the Missionj 77C1 centre ? Not sure about matching the rest of the system tonally but an excellent centre speaker.

7. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Interesting, are the 753's the original versions or the Freedoms as the tweeters are quite different on the 2 versions? the 753 freedoms will be tonally similar to my 754 Freedoms I guess?

8. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 77C1 I suppose would be an obvious choice and I think, and perhaps the 78 series if I can find a good secondhand example. Tonally I guess both ought to be similar to my 754 Freedoms?

From an aesthetic point of view my 754's are Rosewood which I think the 77 c was available in but not the 78?? For a centre though black would be more than acceptable :)

The problem with going down this route I suppose is that these speakers will be secondhand and no chance to audition, whereas a current model could be auditioned at home in my setup with less risk. :confused:

9. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
  10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I used a 75c before having 753 all around - it was OK as centre speakers go, certainly better than the 77c1 which in comparison was cheaply made and sounded weedy. Tried a Mordaunt-Short T1000 which was good in its day - and various B & Ws too.
    After 753 series Mission seemed to be making cheaper designs year on year until their recent demise and re-birth.
    Buy some second-hand 753s from Audiogon or classifieds - they work great as centres and surrounds. :cool:

11. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have original version of 753.

12. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's your amp causing the center chanel problems not the speaker, signal is more important than speaker, and the cener chanel is the hardest to get right i have an ax10i and i am still not happy with the center chanel.

13. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need a really good signal to get a good sound from the center, mine 868avi ax10i canton center, tried the mission 771, sounds like they are talking in a wardrobe.

14. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much wrong with the signal from the AVR8500 - it has enough current to drive the Flying Scotman :clap:

15. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Wish I had the room to use a floorstander as a centre, unfortunately I need to use a coventional horizontal centre speaker to space constraints and room layout :(

It seems I might need to go for a high quality centre from another manufacturer as nobody seems enthused by the Mission ones.

Any suggestions of alternatives. I recently saw some Kef 200c's advertised, end of line stock I guess any good :lease:

17. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try canton i swear by them that is what i am using and for the money it sounds as good as it gets(around 150 quid i think)

18. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wouldn't touch kefs

19. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RayB

I wouldnt attatch much weight to mikeoxsmall's opionions as he seldom offers constructive advice, It amazes me he hasnt suggested you sell everything you've got or throw it all away.

If you could find a dealer prepared to let you take a few centre's home or come with you to do a demo at home that would be a good idea. Speakers are probably one of the most subjective parts of a home cinema in terms of personal preference so demo as may as you can. BTW nothing wrong with Kef at all ;)

20. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Skinnyfat. This is probably the best option, off to see the dealer!