Upgrading my Jamo A102 Advice please

twodollar69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
ive had my surround set up since I moved into my home 10 plus years ago , and I’m looking for a replacement set of speakers (must be wall mounting )

Budget I’m looking at is between £400-£600 ish .

I’ve a receiver I’m happy with (apart from arc issues) the Sony STR-DN1080 so just looking for speaker package (inc sub)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated .

ones I’ve seen price wise at richer sounds ,

Wharfdale DX2 £349

Q Acoustics 3000 5.1/£449

Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 £649

Any advice greatly appreciated

Jamie

Q Acoustics are better speakers over the smaller DX2s which few members have commented sounding little strained when being pushed to higher volumes. You can´t expect too much from small sealed cabs with tiny 3" drivers so more ideal for smaller rooms at moderate volumes, but they look quite nice on-wall and are easy to wall mount flush against wall with few screws. QAs are more bulky (deep) but also are more of real upgrade from the small Jamos. You do need the metal wall brackets or something like B-Tech Ultragrip BT77 Ultragrip Pro from Amazon.

Here is pictures of 3020 on the top of av-unit and 3010 wall mounted as front heights (atmos). I think the new 3010i is closer the size of 3020 which makes the 3000i bit more intresting as whole. Also the newer 3000i serie finishes are much nicer esp. white and walnut! Click the pictures on this post to see the size:

One negative thing is the rather poor subwoofers in these packages. I wonder how much they would ask if you could swap the slim 3060S to QB12. There is only 100£ difference between these two subs if bought alone. I can promise you there will be very noticeable difference going from such slim design 8" (3060S) to more powerfull larger 12" sealed (QB12) model. Also at this point the upgrade would be cheaper to do than later. It would also be your next upgrade if we think about what is the lagging part of your system. So think carefully and talk with the RS shop manager if he can make you superb deal by swapping the sub.

Another option is to buy 3010 (2pairs) and 3090C as 5.0 package for 300£. Then buy sub from BK which builds their subs in UK and sells direct to customer without middleman. To keep close to your budget the tall but narrow (28cm) dual 10" driver BK Double Gem would be great alternative found in the site below as new grade-b in few different finishes:

Main site information and pictures:

Before you ask there is no requirement to match subwoofer with speakers (same brand)! Attachment has picture of full white Double Gem in room.

Attachments

• doublegem.jpg
    doublegem.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Q Acoustics are better speakers over the smaller DX2s which few members have commented sounding little strained when being pushed to higher volumes. You can´t expect too much from small sealed cabs with tiny 3" drivers so more ideal for smaller rooms at moderate volumes, but they look quite nice on-wall and are easy to wall mount flush against wall with few screws. QAs are more bulky (deep) but also are more of real upgrade from the small Jamos. You do need the metal wall brackets or something like B-Tech Ultragrip BT77 Ultragrip Pro from Amazon.

Here is pictures of 3020 on the top of av-unit and 3010 wall mounted as front heights (atmos). I think the new 3010i is closer the size of 3020 which makes the 3000i bit more intresting as whole. Also the newer 3000i serie finishes are much nicer esp. white and walnut! Click the pictures on this post to see the size:

One negative thing is the rather poor subwoofers in these packages. I wonder how much they would ask if you could swap the slim 3060S to QB12. There is only 100£ difference between these two subs if bought alone. I can promise you there will be very noticeable difference going from such slim design 8" (3060S) to more powerfull larger 12" sealed (QB12) model. Also at this point the upgrade would be cheaper to do than later. It would also be your next upgrade if we think about what is the lagging part of your system. So think carefully and talk with the RS shop manager if he can make you superb deal by swapping the sub.

Another option is to buy 3010 (2pairs) and 3090C as 5.0 package for 300£. Then buy sub from BK which builds their subs in UK and sells direct to customer without middleman. To keep close to your budget the tall but narrow (28cm) dual 10" driver BK Double Gem would be great alternative found in the site below as new grade-b in few different finishes:

Before you ask there is no requirement to match subwoofer with speakers (same brand)! Attachment has picture of full white Double Gem in room.
Thanks for your reply with lots of advice.
Really is appreciated and I will give rs a call to discuss options.
Thanks again

Hi @Gasp3621
As you seem to have alot of knowledge Re home cinema set up, what are your thoughts on the sonos arc? I know it's expensive for my budget.
I would end up selling my Sony dn1080 amp and would use the cash towards the sonos. Not sure what I would get for it though.

Hi @Gasp3621
As you seem to have alot of knowledge Re home cinema set up, what are your thoughts on the sonos arc? I know it's expensive for my budget.
I would end up selling my Sony dn1080 amp and would use the cash towards the sonos. Not sure what I would get for it though.

Don`t do it unless you really have to! Many has went that route and regretted later. I get the point of downsizing/minimalism, but it´s never going to compete with something like QA system and good sub!

Don`t do it unless you really have to! Many has went that route and regretted later. I get the point of downsizing/minimalism, but it´s never going to compete with something like QA system and good sub!

Thanks for that. Would it not even be an upgrade from the Jamo.
I'm currently in discussion with my partner. Or should I say trying to convince her Re the larger speakers. She wants the soundbar option

Thanks for that. Would it not even be an upgrade from the Jamo.
I'm currently in discussion with my partner. Or should I say trying to convince her Re the larger speakers. She wants the soundbar option

Understood. The 3000i are fairly bulky speakers and if you need to wall mount then it might become tough to sell for wife. Ideally you should have the front mains on top of nice looking 60cm tall stands (white ones too). There is also something like Dali Oberon On-Wall and Oberon Vokal, but the latter center is normal sized and would need to be put on top of av-unit. However the front mains are slim and there is many nice finishes to keep wife happy. Then you have Monitor Audio Radius 225 which you could buy three peaces for the LCR. Or pair of Kef T301 and T301c. All these options would go slightly over your budget and it would mean keeping the Jamo sub and Jamo surrounds so upgrading the whole system slower.

If the soundbar route becomes the only choice you could consider passive soundbar rather than the Sonos route as you have the Sony receiver so it would power the passive bar, there is three wire terminals for L/C/R behind the speaker.

Example MA SB3 or SB4. PT has best prices over 100£ cheaper than other dealers.

Another option if looking shorter passive soundbar would be the MA Radius One with nicer finish, but i´m bit skeptical of these "short" bars as you can imagine the soundstage with three speakers crambed together closely.

Tough call and the limited budget making it trickier limiting your options.

Understood. The 3000i are fairly bulky speakers and if you need to wall mount then it might become tough to sell for wife. Ideally you should have the front mains on top of nice looking 60cm tall stands (white ones too). There is also something like Dali Oberon On-Wall and Oberon Vokal, but the latter center is normal sized and would need to be put on top of av-unit. However the front mains are slim and there is many nice finishes to keep wife happy. Then you have Monitor Audio Radius 225 which you could buy three peaces for the LCR. Or pair of Kef T301 and T301c. All these options would go slightly over your budget and it would mean keeping the Jamo sub and Jamo surrounds so upgrading the whole system slower.

If the soundbar route becomes the only choice you could consider passive soundbar rather than the Sonos route as you have the Sony receiver so it would power the passive bar, there is three wire terminals for L/C/R behind the speaker.

Example MA SB3 or SB4. PT has best prices over 100£ cheaper than other dealers.

Another option if looking shorter passive soundbar would be the MA Radius One with nicer finish, but i´m bit skeptical of these "short" bars as you can imagine the soundstage with three speakers crambed together closely.

Tough call and the limited budget making it trickier limiting your options.
Yeah it's a tough sell 😂

I'm limited in terms of placement too as TV is wall mounted and current speakers are high on the wall. Wires buried in the plaster too and don't fancy making a big mess again.

Appreciate your help with this

Thanks

Some pics would be handy as your speaker placement whilst possibly working in terms of room aesthetics don’t appear ideal for optimal audio playback.

Your budget is pretty limited if you are aiming for a meaningful upgrade to the system.

What would you say are the good/bad points of the current speaker system?

Joe

Some pics would be handy as your speaker placement whilst possibly working in terms of room aesthetics don’t appear ideal for optimal audio playback.

Your budget is pretty limited if you are aiming for a meaningful upgrade to the system.

Hi @Joe Fernand thanks for your reply.
I would say the speach is very poor and possibly the sub not being the greatest.
It all just seems to lack some punch.

I'm away in Dublin at tte moment but will get some pics up tomorrow.

Thanks all
What would you say are the good/bad points of the current speaker system?

Joe

Enjoy Dublin - always a fun city to visit :)

Pics will be ideal when you have a chance.

Joe

Enjoy Dublin - always a fun city to visit :)

Pics will be ideal when you have a chance.

Joe
Cheers, my son lives there so flying visit.

On ferry back and looking at all. Sorts Re home cinema. How do q acoustic 7000i rate compared to my jamos?

The Mrs is happy with how they look and second hand deals. On ebay. Im.worried they would t be an improvement

This is. Going to be a battle to convince her 😂

Any small speakers mounted too high and too far apart are going to have the same issues as your current speaker set.

It will be good to see a pic of the installation plus your seating layout to confirm but the Soundbar option may well be your best bet as it will ‘pin’ the voices to the screen.

Less is often more where you are working too a budget and dialogue is more important than effects channels.

Joe

Any small speakers mounted too high and too far apart are going to have the same issues as your current speaker set.

It will be good to see a pic of the installation plus your seating layout to confirm but the Soundbar option may well be your best bet as it will ‘pin’ the voices to the screen.

Less is often more where you are working too a budget and dialogue is more important than effects channels.

Joe

Excuse the mess.

I haven't put the centre speaker back up as TV went on the wall half hour before we left.

Sub is in the corner next to av unit. Cables run up into loft and plastered into walls. (it's a bungalow)
Hope pics are clear enough.
Cheers Jamie
20220328_091749.jpg
20220328_091738.jpg
20220328_091734.jpg

The Front LR are way too far apart and too high and ideally the Sub should be placed along the front wall as it is really the ‘mid range’ for your system and having it too far away from the Front LCR means everything becomes disconnected.

I would grab a SONOS Soundbar to try it out, a local dealer may offer you a Demo unit or SONOS have a ‘Home Trial’ option.

If you prefer to stick with an AVR + Speakers I would aim to move the Front LCR and Sub kit/cables and get your existing kit optimised before you contemplate new kit.

Joe

The Front LR are way too far apart and too high and ideally the Sub should be placed along the front wall as it is really the ‘mid range’ for your system and having it too far away from the Front LCR means everything becomes disconnected.

I would grab a SONOS Soundbar to try it out, a local dealer may offer you a Demo unit or SONOS have a ‘Home Trial’ option.

If you prefer to stick with an AVR + Speakers I would aim to move the Front LCR and Sub kit/cables and get your existing kit optimised before you contemplate new kit.

Joe
Thanks Joe

I set the speakers up like that as year ago the TV was on the chimney wall as I didn't have a wood burner then. Admittedly they are still too high.

Seems I'm stuck then as I wouldn't win the battle the have the wires moved and walls knocked out again to keep a good avr set up. (don't really want TV unit on floor)

Will see if richer sounds offer any type of trial etc of the sonos.

Are there any other soubdbars worth a try (but not more expensive)

Thanks again

I’m sure there are good options from the other popular brands - not sure if the others give you as generous and offer in terms of a home trial though.

AVF have a fair few Soundbar Reviews you can read through.

Joe

Hi @Gasp3621 and @Joe Fernand appreciate your help and advice with my set up. Just updating you that I had a change of plan .Managed to get Q Acoustics 7000i set for a decent price .
Have to say I am impressed with the speakers , and dialogue is much clearer . Sub lacks a bit if punch but I can live with that .for now.
Im going to keep this set up until I refurb my lounge , then I’m going to go down the decent soundbar route .

Thanks again

Jamie

Hi @Gasp3621 and @Joe Fernand appreciate your help and advice with my set up. Just updating you that I had a change of plan .Managed to get Q Acoustics 7000i set for a decent price .
Have to say I am impressed with the speakers , and dialogue is much clearer . Sub lacks a bit if punch but I can live with that .for now.
Im going to keep this set up until I refurb my lounge , then I’m going to go down the decent soundbar route .

Thanks again

Jamie
Can I ask how you're getting on with the 7000s? I'm debating picking them up this weekend, I have the same jamo set that you had but I'll be honest I think they're great, just feel I might be missing out as I've had them about 16 years.
How do the subs compare I'd you don't mind me asking?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom