Upgrading my HiFi with new speakers. £200 to spend but where do i start?

Phillbot

Standard Member
Hi all, i am looking to spend around £200 on new speakers for my hifi. I need some that sound great at loud and quiet levels (not stupidly loud though) and have plenty of good bottom end. Trouble is i have not bought speakers for so long that i just dont know what's good any more.

Has anyone got a good place for me to start researching or can someone recommend some models that i should go listen to.

I am looking for a 2 speaker system but would be happy to get a sub as well if that yielded the best results for my budget.

Any advise would be greatly received, thanks

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Have a look at the Monitor Audio BR2's, very nice speakers at this price point and have planty of bottom end
aye, i'd second these as a recommendation, i havnt heard the new BR2 revision, but the previous gen B2's were fantastic value for money....

altho to help offers be more useful, is there a particular use for these speakers you have in mind? ie mostly music, possibly gaming or movies etc, also what music do you tend to prefer?...even at cheaper prices speakers can often be more useful for certain types of music....

dingwall

Banned
I'd add some more Qs if possible: What is your hifi and existing speakers? And what is the biggest size of speaker you want? Deep floorstanders OK (I have something in mind if so)?

I don't like the MAs at all myself, especially given your criteria, but it's best to work on positive recommendations so no harm in popping them on the audition list.

I have to say, whenever I want to buy new gear, I like to cleanse myself of all reviews and forums and go listen with open mind and ears. There aren't that many shops or models to go to in your case, so I'd personally count your position as lucky! Just something to consider..

Phillbot

Standard Member
aye, i'd second these as a recommendation, i havnt heard the new BR2 revision, but the previous gen B2's were fantastic value for money....

altho to help offers be more useful, is there a particular use for these speakers you have in mind? ie mostly music, possibly gaming or movies etc, also what music do you tend to prefer?...even at cheaper prices speakers can often be more useful for certain types of music....
It's going to be mainly music. Gtr based stuff