1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading my exisiting AV sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F G Evans, Jan 6, 2005.

1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Creative inspire 5700 5.1 AV system which comprises a basic receiver/applifier and speakers. It has suited my needs up till now.

I am now considering changing to a seperate system ie seperate speakers and a receiver.

My first question is do i need a receiver and an amplifier or are these one and the same.

Secondly will any set of speakers fit any make of model. ie will a yahama receiver be compatible with sony tannoy speakers.

I also need advice on what receiver to buy.

At present i am considering the Marantz 5400 which i have found for £299, i have also found the Marantz 4400 for £199. Does the extra £100 but you a lot more .

I also fancy the yamaha RX range ie the RX650 is currently £269 in my local Richer Sounds. Is this a good buy , how good is that system.

I have also seen the Sony STRDB795 for £222. Is this any good or is the Yamaha better. What about the yahama RX450 (£190). Is this a better choice over the Sony.

What i am looking for realy is the best system for about £250 to £300.

I also see that Yahama do package deals ie including the RX350 receiver and the RXSl80. Would even these packages sound better than my existing model. I want to be able to hear a difference when i upgrade.

In relation to speakers what would be the best speakers to buy to complement a receiver. I notice that the Tannoy FX5.1 (which got top marks ) are currently £150 on the net (They were retailing at £450 at the end of 2003).

Any advice woould be appreciated.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A reciever is just an amp with a radio tuner build in.
    Speakers should all work on what ever amp you get, just look to see if they are 8 Ohm as thats standard now (6 will be ok) and 4 Ohms is pretty dificult to drive (get a maratz for such then as they are 'high current')
    As for prices generaly all the model number match up and are similar prices Just make yourself familair with the different model number and if you see one very cheap then go for it. It is said that some makes sound different to each other and that yamaha is better for HC and marantz for Music but in truth you have to audition them to see if you'll find a difference.

Don't warry about buying a lemon though as most models these days from different companys are pretty much the equivalent of each other, esp with the bigger/'normal' amps/receivers. So which ever you buy if it's from a big company you'll probably be ok, these included Yamaha, Marantz, Denon and Onyko. I haven't had much experience with the Sony's so i'm not sure but there will be some one who can help with that particular model.

The 5400 is ment to be quite abit better than the 4400, but without listening to the 5400 you can be blisfuly ignorant if the money would have made a difference.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    F G Evans,

The Tannoys at £150 is a excellent excellent price, and I believe quite a few members have bought the speakers and I think most amps would suit them sound wise.

There has been reports on this forum that 795 has problems (not sure with what), so until fixed the recommendation is to keep it out of the list.

5400 definitely has more power than 4400, but the question is whether you need a 5400 for the Tannoys and it is £100 more. And at the 5400 price you are moving into the new Yamaha RX-V650 (£288 from empiredirect) which has a very very good sound and has quite a few new features (audio delay - useful for lip sync problems and automatic room calibration) that are quite useful that 5400 doesn't have. At the 4400 price you should also consider Pioneer VSX-D814, which again is very popular (very good sound, power and dynamics as well as automatic room calibration) at a very good price indeed (£220 from Peter Tyson at the moment).

I actually have the Marantz SR-4300 and I am well pleased with the sound, but I do miss having audio delay and room calibration among other things.

The choice is yours, but as Gazbarber says, there are no bad choice of those mentioned, but it depends what feature level you want.

Wasabi