Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading my DVD, am a bit behind on the new technology!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robyoung, Jul 30, 2004.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Right Guys, i've finally got round to upgrading my Panasonic DVD player, i cant remember the model number at the mo, but will check it out when i get home. It cost me about £500 4 years ago. I'm sure its still pretty decent but there has been so many advances since then which i havent kept track of i need some advice on what to go for.

Basically my other equipment is Sky + box, Sony Amp (DD & DTS), LG 42" Plasma and JVC VCR.

My budget is about the £400 mark.

Am interested in hearing more about progressive scan and any other features that have become more common over the years.

Cheers Rob

PS: With Richer Sounds, you know the 50% buy back gurantee they do? can you still do that even after the 3 years has ran out or is it too late?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    Once the time is up on the warranty, the only thing you'll get back is the money you paid the warranty itself- providing you didn't get it serviced.

There is a great deal of worthy material available for £400. A Denon DV2200 creeps in under this (just) and I think might prove eye opening in terms of progress.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey Rob,

You can get a very nifty dvd for £400! Along with Tons' recommendation of the denon 2200, take a look at the Pioneer 757ai, Harmon Kardon DV31, Marantz 6400 and sony's latest recorder, the RDRGX7.

If you don't need the recording facility, my money would go on the Pioner 757ai. Cracking all rounder. 12bit 108mhz video dacs. SACD, DVDA, prog scan & iLink.

DT

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  5. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Pioneer 757ai looks like an impressive buy. Will have to some proper testing! any more suggestions, keep them coming! :)

Cheers rob