Upgrading my Denon AVR2805 What should I look for?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by goldeneye243, Jan 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am considering upgrading my Denon receiver as a mate is looking at getting a home cinema system and it will be a good start for him.

I am not sure if I need to go for a receiver that decodes the new HD formats or not. I will mainly use it with PS3, sky+, and my HTPC (optical connection)

I am currently considering getting one of the Onkyo receivers, or possibly a slightly older higher end system like a Marantz SR-8001. It will be partnered with Monitor Audio silver series speakers.

Also, what would be a fair price for the AVR-2805?

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi,
    I too am in the same boat with my 2805. I am looking at the Onkyo 605 for the HD audio capabilities and my local HIFI dealer has made me an offer of £250 as a trade in price against one.
    He did however say the 605 would be more of a sideways step rather than the be all and end all as the 2805 is still a very capable AV amp and the Onkyo, even though it has the latest codec's on board doesn't quite beat the Denon in a straight shootout in audio qualities.
    Decisions, decisions :rolleyes: anyone got a 605 who has changed from a 2805 (or similar Denon model) and can help us ??

Graham.