Upgrading my Dell Inspiron 15R

chocobear

Hi all

I've noticed recently that my laptop is getting a bit sluggish, I've done a defrag and cleared off some space by putting photos on a external hard drive. I use it mainly for surfing the web, playing football manager etc.

I would like to update/upgrade the laptop and make it faster with more hard drive space. As I'm a complete beginner when it comes to computer/laptop builds could you kind people suggest where to start?

Specs
Inspiron N5010 intel i3-370M (2.4ghz) mobile CPU
15.6" display
Memory: 3072mb (1x1024 + 1x2048) 1333mhz DDR3 dual channel
Hard drive: 250gb serial ATA 5400rpm
Battery : Primary 6-cell 48W/HR LI-ION
Graphics : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Thanks very much

**posted in wrong forum previously**

chocobear

Best choice:
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - 148,89£ shop
read: 482.2 MB/s
write: 445.2 MB/s

How to upgrade Hard Drive
Tutorial: Youtube
Thanks for that. Would I see a bigger improvement by installing an SSD than getting two new 4gb ram installed?

If I was to install an SSD I would go for the 500gb mark, would the "Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive" from amazon work fine in my machine?

Kasp33r

Standard Member
Performance test in CrystalDiskMark 1000 MB:
Crucial M500 480GB
read: 498 MB/s
write: 424 MB/s

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
read: 537 MB/s
write: 504 MB/s

Crucial M500 480GB - 170£ from Amazon is great deal.You can upgrade Ram? Definitely do it. Unless you need it.

chocobear

Performance test in CrystalDiskMark 1000 MB:
Crucial M500 480GB
read: 498 MB/s
write: 424 MB/s

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
read: 537 MB/s
write: 504 MB/s

Crucial M500 480GB - 170£ from Amazon is great deal.You can upgrade Ram? Definitely do it. Unless you need it.
Can I not upgrade the ram on this laptop then? Or are you asking if I can afford to? I would like to better the laptop and if that is by installing an ssd and new ram I'll do it

Kasp33r

Standard Member
Sorry for my question. Right question is: if you can afford to? I mean SSD+upgrade ram. If you can do it.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
I've deleted your other thread as duplicates are against the rules. I've also moved your thread here as I think it will do better. If you want it moved, ask a mod.

Strobe

Re laptop getting hot...strip it down, clean the fan and chassis, and renew the thermal paste. I did mine with Arctic paste and with a can spray of IPA to clean the old stuff off it was only £15 total cost. I don't know what the inspiron is like but it's anything like my l501x it's a PITA to take apart but worth it. I've upgraded the original HDD to an SSHD for speed and capacity. Works wonders for my laptop and has hopefully breathed some life in to it for another year or so.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom