Upgrading my current set-up.

D

Dutchie

Hi, at the moment i have the following set-up at home:
Phlips 100hrz 28PW9616 Television
Kef KHT 2005 Speaker system
Marantz SR4200 receiver
Onkyo DVS 555 DVD player.

I am looking to upgrade both the receiver and DVD player, preferably from 1 make. I have been looking at:
Pioneer VSXD 1011
Pioneer DV656 or DV 757.

I would appreciate any comments or other suggestions,

Dutchie

Hi! I cannot say anything about dvd players, but... Did you like the sound of your Marantz? If you did, I don't understand why the change to Pioneer, as far as I know, the sound of Marantz is much clear... I have at home a mini-hifi from Pioneer, I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. I remember that not long after that, my cousin (I was at secondary school, he was already working, that's why the difference) bought a rotel cd player and stereo amp, with B&W speakers... Well, I have to say I felt I wanted to throw my new toy away! Pioneer has a lot of bass in, really. And from other opinions, the US sound like Pioneer is punching, the Japanese sound is coloured and the european sound is natural, now you choose. I would stick to Marantz, specially if you like more music than movies.
Actually, the amp you talk about is rather expensive, I have seen it for almost 900 euro... I don't know about that price range, my salary is too modest, but... wouldn't it be possible to think about something near the hi-end? This is rather a question than an advice, I want to provoque the experts here :)

Well ... to be able to help better there are a few questions ... What improvements are you looking for out of a new amp? What capabilities do you want/need? Do you want the Pio DVD player for it's DVD-A and/or SACD capabilities? What speakers are you using currently? Do you intend at any later date to replace the speakers? What's your total budget for this upgrade (is the Pio kit the top end of price you're willing to pay)? All these will help us to answer your question reguarding what to look for in replacement.

Assuming other kit in similar price range (from memory) - assuming you have around £1000 to spend in total ... how about ...
Marantz SR7200 (Amp) + DV4300 (DVD)
NAD T752 (Amp) + T562 (DVD)
Denon 3802 (Amp) + 2800 MkII (DVD)
Sony 1080 (Amp) + 905 (DVD)
I'm sure there are also suitably priced kit from Yamaha, H&K and Onkyo.

Personally I'd go for the Marantz as I've always loved the sound from my SR5200 but there are all the other options too - I would venture to say they are all good, some will be more musical and some more aimed at pure Home Cinema use, and I think all the stuff that I've meantioned is talked about often here so do a few seaches and you can see what other people thing.

Victoria

PS ... cribeiro ... I'm not sure it's fair to compare the sound from a Pio(neer) midi-system to Rotel/B&W separates system and then use that to say that no Pio kit is going to sound very good (if I misinterpreted your comment then sorry).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom