Question Upgrading my almost Decade-Old TV

Sinclaire

Hi there gents! First time user here and I am posting in the hopes of getting good advice on getting a new TV. To provide some context, I have a really old TV that I bought close to a decade ago. The Samsung 46EH5300 was the first ever TV I bought and I've been using it since. However, it now has some dead pixels in the form of a black line about 3 inches long in the upper left corner of the screen. I realize given the age of the TV, having it fixed would cost more than buying a new one.

I went to a few appliance stores to see what has changed in the market but was blown away by all the terminologies and features that they talked about. I spent the last week watching some reviews and getting up to date with the TV market. Seems like a lot has changed since the last time I bought one. I chanced upon this website during my search and had a good read on the market (awesome site btw!). I've more or less narrowed down my choices to the following 3 models and hope to receive your thoughts on the matter. I've decided to get a 65" model since based on the distance metric, that's the optimal size given where I plan to place it (happy to hear your thoughts though if you think otherwise). I mainly watch 1080p content and play my PS4. But with the PS5 over the horizon and better content becoming increasingly available, I am thinking now is the best time to upgrade my system.
  • Samsung TU8000 - Samsung felt like a natural brand to go for since I've been using one for a while. But it seems like there's some downgrades with the current model which seems counter-intuitive to me. I was shocked when I found out. That being said, the TU8000 seems like it will still do a good job for its price.
  • TCL P8S - I can't seem to find the H9G or H8G that the folks at rtings.com refer to. This was the closest one I could find and its similarly priced to the TU8000. Some sites say its a good TV.
  • Panasonic HZ1000 - A friend recommended me to consider getting one. It's twice the price of the Samsung but it seems to be highly reviewed in this website. Is it worth paying twice the price for this one?
That said, hope to hear your thoughts! Thank you in advance.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi there gents! First time user here and I am posting in the hopes of getting good advice on getting a new TV. To provide some context, I have a really old TV that I bought close to a decade ago. The Samsung 46EH5300 was the first ever TV I bought and I've been using it since. However, it now has some dead pixels in the form of a black line about 3 inches long in the upper left corner of the screen. I realize given the age of the TV, having it fixed would cost more than buying a new one.

I went to a few appliance stores to see what has changed in the market but was blown away by all the terminologies and features that they talked about. I spent the last week watching some reviews and getting up to date with the TV market. Seems like a lot has changed since the last time I bought one. I chanced upon this website during my search and had a good read on the market (awesome site btw!). I've more or less narrowed down my choices to the following 3 models and hope to receive your thoughts on the matter. I've decided to get a 65" model since based on the distance metric, that's the optimal size given where I plan to place it (happy to hear your thoughts though if you think otherwise). I mainly watch 1080p content and play my PS4. But with the PS5 over the horizon and better content becoming increasingly available, I am thinking now is the best time to upgrade my system.
  • Samsung TU8000 - Samsung felt like a natural brand to go for since I've been using one for a while. But it seems like there's some downgrades with the current model which seems counter-intuitive to me. I was shocked when I found out. That being said, the TU8000 seems like it will still do a good job for its price.
  • TCL P8S - I can't seem to find the H9G or H8G that the folks at rtings.com refer to. This was the closest one I could find and its similarly priced to the TU8000. Some sites say its a good TV.
  • Panasonic HZ1000 - A friend recommended me to consider getting one. It's twice the price of the Samsung but it seems to be highly reviewed in this website. Is it worth paying twice the price for this one?
That said, hope to hear your thoughts! Thank you in advance.

Firstly now is a bad time to replace you television, purely because come Black Friday onwards most of the 2020 sets will see discounts, so hold on until then. Out of the three sets you've narrowed down to I would get the Panasonic....however...

...Secondly, I think you need to narrow down whether you want OLED or LCD as both technologies have pros and cons. Generally speaking OLEDs provide pure blacks and superb colours, have a wide angle viewing and great contrast. Top end LCD's are great for bright rooms, and produce superb bright HDR but you can sometimes see a bit of blooming. OLED's can suffer from screen burn which isn't covered under any manufacturer or retailer warranties and are more expensive.

I would ditch the TCL and Samsung options if you decide on LCD and look at the top end models like the Sony XH9005 or the better XH9505 (but doesn't have HDMI 2.1) or the Samsung Q90/95. I say this because you clearly like to keep your set for a long time so you might as well buy the best you can.

Sinclaire

Firstly now is a bad time to replace you television, purely because come Black Friday onwards most of the 2020 sets will see discounts, so hold on until then. Out of the three sets you've narrowed down to I would get the Panasonic....however...

...Secondly, I think you need to narrow down whether you want OLED or LCD as both technologies have pros and cons. Generally speaking OLEDs provide pure blacks and superb colours, have a wide angle viewing and great contrast. Top end LCD's are great for bright rooms, and produce superb bright HDR but you can sometimes see a bit of blooming. OLED's can suffer from screen burn which isn't covered under any manufacturer or retailer warranties and are more expensive.

I would ditch the TCL and Samsung options if you decide on LCD and look at the top end models like the Sony XH9005 or the better XH9505 (but doesn't have HDMI 2.1) or the Samsung Q90/95. I say this because you clearly like to keep your set for a long time so you might as well buy the best you can.

Hi there! Thank you for the detailed response. You make a lot of great points!

I missed the Black Friday angle. You're absolutely correct that I don't go to market often so these trends tend to pass me by. I do intend to get a set that I can use for quite some time. I'm too familiar with the difference since I always thought that Size was mainly what mattered - at least, that's how I remember it from when I bought my first set.

But I was clearly misinformed then. I noticed it straight now since when I went to the Samsung store, they had multiple 65" TVs but the price points were extremes! Some are really affordable whereas others were quite pricey.

I'm still undecided on the OLED vs LED - I only learned about this last week when I went to the shop. Things have definitely changed! But anyway, screen burn worries me but I was told it should be ok if I use it for varied things. I mainly only watch movies or series on the TV during weekends - mostly in the afternoon to evening timeframe. So maybe either OLED or LED would both work? Afternoon is pretty bright that I had to close my curtains since my present set isn't bright enough but evenings it is all good.

I'm definitely looking for a good TV that can stay with me for a while - at the very least, the full PS5 Generation time frame. But I'm also mindful of the cost. The 65" HZ1000 is pretty close to my budget limit.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi there! Thank you for the detailed response. You make a lot of great points!

I missed the Black Friday angle. You're absolutely correct that I don't go to market often so these trends tend to pass me by. I do intend to get a set that I can use for quite some time. I'm too familiar with the difference since I always thought that Size was mainly what mattered - at least, that's how I remember it from when I bought my first set.

But I was clearly misinformed then. I noticed it straight now since when I went to the Samsung store, they had multiple 65" TVs but the price points were extremes! Some are really affordable whereas others were quite pricey.

I'm still undecided on the OLED vs LED - I only learned about this last week when I went to the shop. Things have definitely changed! But anyway, screen burn worries me but I was told it should be ok if I use it for varied things. I mainly only watch movies or series on the TV during weekends - mostly in the afternoon to evening timeframe. So maybe either OLED or LED would both work? Afternoon is pretty bright that I had to close my curtains since my present set isn't bright enough but evenings it is all good.

I'm definitely looking for a good TV that can stay with me for a while - at the very least, the full PS5 Generation time frame. But I'm also mindful of the cost. The 65" HZ1000 is pretty close to my budget limit.

You are still correct, always go for the largest you can....BUT...equally only if you are getting the best technology on board. For example, you could get a 75" edge lit LCD but the picture quality and motion won't be a patch on a smaller top end OLED and LCD.

Burn in is a real issue, for some OLED owners. The majority however have lots of years happy viewing without issues, but ultimately it's an organic technology so inherently the risk is a real one. I would love to buy a top end OLED but having kids and a very bright room I have opted for a top end LCD. From what you describe either technology should work for you. I wouldn't worry too much about hdmi 2.1 in terms of gaming, as unless you're a PC/Pro gamer it won't matter. I'd recommend having a watch of this video

Dodgexander

There is quite a large disparity between the models you are considering in your post. I'd agree with what has been mentioned above about buying at a better time unless you can find 2019 stock (2020 models are currently very expensive).

Here's last years guide: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Hopefully that guide can help you narrow down your choices somewhat, because its not really possible to compare such a plethora of TVs without first understanding what you want, and what you value from a TV.

Some links that are in the guide I'll also post here in case you miss them:

Once you spend the time to read up a little about what buying a TV involves nowadays, and what you want from a TV, you will be better equipped to make the right decision. I wouldn't jump in and select specific models until you already got to that point.

Sinclaire

Thank you for the detailed responses! It seems like I'll have more homework to do before proceeding with this. Anyway, it seems like I have time given that it is ill-advised to buy one today - since 2020 models remain pricey. I'll go over the various links and videos posted here and will hopefully come back with a more detailed idea afterwards.

Haha, I never realized buying a TV these days is such a complex process. :)

Sinclaire

Thank you very much for those videos and write-ups. I spent the whole morning just reading up and watching and it really opened my eyes on all the things that changed in buying a TV!

After reading through all of those guides, I was convinced I really don't need to buy a TV after all. Thinking back on my use-case, if it weren't for the dead pixel line bothering me, then I would probably be happily using my aging 46" Samsung.

But alas, the dead pixel line exists and it is really bothering me. Thus, when the sale season happens, I do intend to still buy a new TV Set. This time around a lot of my misconceptions on the myths of future proofing, OLED Burn-Ins, and HDMI 2.1s is no longer there. I feel so enlightened haha.

I realize my use-case doesn't demand too much since I still mostly watch HD 1080p content and nothing that seems to require HDR. Looking forward a bit, most likely it would just be the PS5 that could benefit from HDR / 4k? Maybe more content that I'd like to watch would be in that format in the future but that isn't the case today.

If that's the case, then maybe the Panasonic 65HZ1000 is a bit of an overkill. Though it is a good TV, I don't think I have content that would do it justice? I don't know if that will change but it seems to be the case today.

I'm interested in getting an OLED as the potential for watching in pitch black room is something I'd like to experience. I'll drop by the store in the coming week to see what sets are available. Do you guys have any recommendations that I should definitely watch out for?

Dodgexander

There will be cheaper OLEDs available than the HZ1000. LG BX and CX come to mind, they are the best all round TVs. CX has better upscaling if you will use that.

Hard to avoid using HDR nowadays unless you are still watching regular broadcast TV. Most new series on Amazon/Netflix are HDR, as are new movie releases on streams and UHD Blu-Ray. If you are a gamer that emphasises how important HDR is even more, since HDR is a big feature of new games.

Sinclaire

There will be cheaper OLEDs available than the HZ1000. LG BX and CX come to mind, they are the best all round TVs. CX has better upscaling if you will use that.

Hard to avoid using HDR nowadays unless you are still watching regular broadcast TV. Most new series on Amazon/Netflix are HDR, as are new movie releases on streams and UHD Blu-Ray. If you are a gamer that emphasises how important HDR is even more, since HDR is a big feature of new games.

Thank you Dodge. I'll search for the LG BX / CX models. I'll take your advice and make sure the one I get is fully HDR capable since that is the way forward for all the new content.

Will post here again after I do a scouting run in the store and see what's available. For now, my target will be to find a good 65" OLED TV.

Sinclaire

@Dodgexander , I had a call with our local appliance center chain and he told me the LG OLEDs today are still quite pricey but Panasonic will be having a special promotion for the 65" HZ1000S in the coming week for about US$1,900. He tells me this is a good price. Is the HZ1000S different from the HZ1000 reviewed in this site?

I asked about the 65" LG GXPPA and CXPPA but those retail for about US$3,960 and US$3,000 respectively. I'm surprised about the price difference and am thinking if the HZ1000S is possibly different from the HZ1000?

I've included the link from the local LG / Panasonic since there might be regional differences for the same models. For reference, the Samsung 65" TU8000 was being sold for about US$920. Looking at the US / UK prices, it seems like it's quite different over here.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The HZ1000 is not different, they just have included some insignificant regional number at the end for some reason.

The LG GX is a premium OLED. It will always stay costly. Its the CX and BX models that should be cheaper.

If Panasonic OLEDs are cheaper than LG OLEDs locally then they'll be better value of course, but the price today can be different tomorrow. You'd have to study last years price trends to get an idea of how much the LGs will drop too.

TVs start at a ridiculously high price, so it doesn't really mean much if they are selling for a lot. It's usually just a tactic so when they have the next sale they can make the discounts look better. Good deals will come to those who spend the time studying price drops than those that buy straight away.

But the price you have for the HZ1000 next week certainly isn't bad, its not spectacular either.

Sinclaire

The HZ1000 is not different, they just have included some insignificant regional number at the end for some reason.

The LG GX is a premium OLED. It will always stay costly. Its the CX and BX models that should be cheaper.

If Panasonic OLEDs are cheaper than LG OLEDs locally then they'll be better value of course, but the price today can be different tomorrow. You'd have to study last years price trends to get an idea of how much the LGs will drop too.

TVs start at a ridiculously high price, so it doesn't really mean much if they are selling for a lot. It's usually just a tactic so when they have the next sale they can make the discounts look better. Good deals will come to those who spend the time studying price drops than those that buy straight away.

But the price you have for the HZ1000 next week certainly isn't bad, its not spectacular either.

Hi mate! Thank you for the guidance. I had a look see at other places and noted the price points. I reckon you're right and I should wait and see. This could just be the seller trying to make a sale.

I'll defer any purchase until after Black Friday following the advice here. Thank you all for helping!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom