Upgrading my 48" Samsung TV to? What size screen do I need?

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I've been given the green light to upgrade my main TV, which is currently a 48" Samsung 3D tv to something a bit bigger.

I was thinking of going for a 55" but might be able to go a big larger but the next most common size is 65". There are some 58" but not many and I can't find any 60".

I am limited with regards to space as I only have 142cm width to put my new TV in, without having to replace the TV cabinet which I bought and paid £300 a few months ago (so its not gonna happen)

Any suggestions on models and size?
PS, I'm sat just under 300cm from the TV btw

vickster

Distinguished Member
Do you watch head on or at an angle? 60” doesn’t exist now and 58s are limited (and have to be viewed head on due to the VA panel type).
You should be able to find the width measurements (Richer Sounds have the dimensions or the manufacture site should)

What’s the budget?

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Do you watch head on or at an angle? 60” doesn’t exist now and 58s are limited (and have to be viewed head on due to the VA panel type).
You should be able to find the width measurements (Richer Sounds have the dimensions or the manufacture site should)

What’s the budget?
Viewing angle is straight on.
Budget, under £1k

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you read the Best Buy guide? The info about LCD vs OLED etc?

There are no 3D TVs anymore

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Have you read the Best Buy guide? The info about LCD vs OLED etc?

There are no 3D TVs anymore
I never use the 3D function, so not a problem.
Yeah I read the guide, just wondered if 58" or 60" was an option these days

vickster

Distinguished Member
58 is yes but only low tier (see guide under narrow viewing angles)
Don’t know if there are 60s now. The best are 55 or 65

Dodgexander

There are a few 58/60" models but they are all low tier models. Probably best to stick to a 55" in the guide, one of the entry level OLEDs like the Panasonic HZ980 or Philips OLED705 would be an option, or on the LCD front try and get the Sony XH9505 before it sells out.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
There are a few 58/60" models but they are all low tier models. Probably best to stick to a 55" in the guide, one of the entry level OLEDs like the Panasonic HZ980 or Philips OLED705 would be an option, or on the LCD front try and get the Sony XH9505 before it sells out.
Just tying to decide if 55" will be enough of an upgrade, size wise, from a 48".
Also, with regards to HDR, should a 4K tv without proper HDR still give a better picture when watching 4k content on streaming services than my current 1080p tv?

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Not really, it can be a worse picture if you go for a lower tier TV. Best to avoid cheaper UHD models for this reason. 1000 nits and good local dimming is a good baseline to look for when shopping for an LCD.
I've read your guide and lots of good advice in there.
What is the minimum one would need to spend to get a TV that would out perform my current Samsung 48" 1080p TV (55" and 65") picture wise, not worried about sound as I'm sure most on this forum are not.

Dodgexander

I've read your guide and lots of good advice in there.
What is the minimum one would need to spend to get a TV that would out perform my current Samsung 48" 1080p TV (55" and 65") picture wise, not worried about sound as I'm sure most on this forum are not.
If looking at LCD TVs mid tier or higher with a VA panel (providing you are still happy with that panel type).

I'd consider high tier TVs in the guides to avoid problems with HDR though, OLEDs will be in a different world of picture quality, even the cheaper ones.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
or on the LCD front try and get the Sony XH9505 before it sells out.
Fully agree I was dubious of several aspects of buying a new TV. Eventually decided on the Sony XH9505 an amazing TV. Get one quick as not sure its going to be around for much more and with limited info on 2021 replacement I cant see yet that it is greater except on price!

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
This TV would be great if you paired it with an Apple TV 4K (or some other decent/well reviewed external 4K HDR capable streamer). Also becasue the of the stand I would like to think it will hopefully fit onto your existing TV unit? at £650 it is an absolute steal and I can vouch for it's great picture quality having moved to it (albeit the 55 inch version) from a Sony 55 XF9005 which was damaged during my most recent flat move.

Hope this helps.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I appreciate all the advice given in here but I am more confused now than I was when I first asked my question.
I just want a TV bigger than the 48" 7 year old 1080p tv that I already have but apparently only high end TV's have HDR and without it the picture is almost unwatchable.
I know some of you guys are real TV technophiles so excuse my ignorance, but will the average lay person notice or care about HDR. I watched some 4k content on my bothers in laws 65" Samsung tv over the weekend and its a budget TV and looked good from where I was standing. Admittedly we only watched the 4k Top Gun trailer on YouTube but I would have been perfectly happy with it.

I think I probably need to see the TV's in action so I'll make a trip to Richer Sounds and see them for myself.
Thanks though for the advise, as I said earlier I do appreciate it. I just remember when I bought my last TV I just walked in to Richer Sounds and bought it for £400 and was very happy with it even though it was cheap.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
If you were going to be watching 4K SDR content, then yes a £400 55 inch 4K tv will be fantastic, no problem at all.

The issue you will run into is that the native apps on those cheaper tvs, if you have the top subscription for Netflix, or watch the HDR version of a piece of content on Prime or any content on Disney+, the service will provide you with the highest quality version of the stream that your tv 'supports'. The TV can 'support' receving the HDR signals, but it cannot display them well. This will result in quite a dull and dim image in terms of colours and brightness. Yes you will still be benefitting from the boost in resolution to 4K, but overall the PQ will be objectively worse than watching the 1080p SDR version of the same piece of content.

This is why we generally recommend that if you want to make the most of HDR you have to get certain TVs with a certain threshold of spec to be able to properly display HDR, otherwsie if you are happy to go SDR only, then just get the cheapest 4K TV at the size you want, but then pair it with an external streaming device that allows you to set the video output to ONLY SDR. This allows you to still benefit from the boost in resolution from 1080p to 4K, but also still get a very good SDR image, rather than a downgraded crap HDR image.

The trailer you watched on Youtube was likely 4K SDR and so would have looked great.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
If you were going to be watching 4K SDR content, then yes a £400 55 inch 4K tv will be fantastic, no problem at all.

The issue you will run into is that the native apps on those cheaper tvs, if you have the top subscription for Netflix, or watch the HDR version of a piece of content on Prime or any content on Disney+, the service will provide you with the highest quality version of the stream that your tv 'supports'. The TV can 'support' receving the HDR signals, but it cannot display them well. This will result in quite a dull and dim image in terms of colours and brightness. Yes you will still be benefitting from the boost in resolution to 4K, but overall the PQ will be objectively worse than watching the 1080p SDR version of the same piece of content.

This is why we generally recommend that if you want to make the most of HDR you have to get certain TVs with a certain threshold of spec to be able to properly display HDR, otherwsie if you are happy to go SDR only, then just get the cheapest 4K TV at the size you want, but then pair it with an external streaming device that allows you to set the video output to ONLY SDR. This allows you to still benefit from the boost in resolution from 1080p to 4K, but also still get a very good SDR image, rather than a downgraded crap HDR image.

The trailer you watched on Youtube was likely 4K SDR and so would have looked great.
Thank you, makes sense.
I access all my streaming Apps through my Sky Q box. Can that be made to show SDR only?

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Thank you, makes sense.
I access all my streaming Apps through my Sky Q box. Can that be made to show SDR only?
If you set the output to be 2160p 8 bit and NOT 2160p 10 bit then that should 'force' all content to stay as SDR.

If using the Sky Q box for streaming services then you should make sure you definitely turn ON the judder reduction setting in the Sky Q settings :)

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
If you set the output to be 2160p 8 bit and NOT 2160p 10 bit then that should 'force' all content to stay as SDR.

If using the Sky Q box for streaming services then you should make sure you definitely turn ON the judder reduction setting in the Sky Q settings :)
Thanks again.
Taking that in to account can you recommend any sub £1k TV's.
I might be getting a 55" or 58" if possible.
I also noticed LG do a 60"

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Thanks again.
Taking that in to account can you recommend any sub £1k TV's.
I might be getting a 55" or 58" if possible.
I also noticed LG do a 60"
That one I linked you is 65 inch and is Hisense's top spec non OLED TV from 2020. It can actually produce HDR properly and very well and can also display 24p content without any judder. If you can fit it in your space then I would definitely pick one up. If you can't let us know and I'm sure we will be able to provide you with some decent options.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
That one I linked you is 65 inch and is Hisense's top spec non OLED TV from 2020. It can actually produce HDR properly and very well and can also display 24p content without any judder. If you can fit it in your space then I would definitely pick one up. If you can't let us know and I'm sure we will be able to provide you with some decent options.
Any other TV's you would recommend? I'm just not confident about buying a Hisense

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony 55 XH9505 :)
Will also show the Sky UHD content well (assuming you have the UHD box and subscription, there is a standard HD Q box too)

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Any other TV's you would recommend? I'm just not confident about buying a Hisense
As I said already I bought the 55 inch version a month or so back and it's great. The picture quality is actually better than the Sony Bravia 55XF9005 that it replaced.

I would look at the Sony 55XH9505 => Sony BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU if you can still find stock as that is now under 1K.

Otherwise I think there might be a couple of 55 inch OLED models hovering around the 1K mark like the LG 55 BX or CX => LG OLED55CX5LB & TONE Free FA4 or A1 => LG OLED55A16LA & TONE Free FA4 (the CX is better than the A1 tho as CX has a 120hz panel whereas the A1 only has a 60hz panel), or perhaps the PHILIPS Ambilight 55OLED705/12 :)

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
There’s a Panasonic Oled too, albeit limited sellers

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+