Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading Mordaunt-Short 5.1 to 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bin_man, Jun 17, 2005.

1. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 (or 6.1) in the near future as I have got my eye on a YAMAHA RX-V1500. I need to make some decisions as I have to channel some wires into the floor before I get a new carpet !!

Current black Mordaunt-Short set-up is quite old, it consists of stand-mounted MS902S fronts, a MSC20 centre and MSB20 rears. The room is an L shape with all the AV in one ‘leg’, this means quite a ‘square’ set-up, with the TV (hoping to replace with plasma shortly but thats another dilemma) in the centre of one leg with the sofa against the back wall and the rears mounted on the rear wall.

I do not know much about these speakers as I have never seen any reviews, but was quite happy with the sound considering what I paid for them, until I dropped the rears down 30cm to 150cm which improved sound considerably and I am now very happy ! I must admit that I haven’t had much to compare them against.

Whats the best way of upgrading to 6.1 or 7.1 ? Adding to what I have got (but it has to be black) or starting again ? Will new speakers be much better than these old ones anyway ? Should I just add a MS-905 and move the MSC20 centre to the back wall ?

I looked at starting again with Genies but was slightly taken aback by how small they were, does it make any difference ? As the sofa is against the back wall am I better sticking with dipoles and adding 2 more MS 903’s ? Will they work OK with the MSB20 rears ?

Anyone got any ideas ? If you have time to comment it would be appreciated.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    Give the Genies a listen before discounting them. I changed from a full size setup (including THX rears) to them and don't feel short changed at all. My room is a rectangle with the rears wall mounted and the results have been entirely satisfactory. The ideal conventional speaker for a sixth and seventh would be the MS302 but this is not an easy thing to find in black.
    Up to you.

3. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons, thanks for the steer..do you sit 'underneath' the rear speakers or are they set up a little behind you ?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    On either side about 40 inches off the floor. Works personally but there are of course umpteen variations on the theme.