Upgrading memory on laptop

Coz

Established Member
Reaction score
Would it be easy to upgrade the memory in an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop? What kind would I need to get, how many GB could I go up to and where is the best place to get it from?
Thanks.

Acer don't seem to put the documentation for their laptops online, so you'll have to check your end for the memory replacement guide and system specifications to answer the first three questions. Well, you could find out what type you need to get by using a program like CPU-Z but it wouldn't tell you any of the other information you'd need to know.

Would it be easy to upgrade the memory in an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop?
In most cases it is simply a matter of unscrewing a plate on the underside of the laptop to get at the RAM. But in some cases you may need to remove the keyboard, but this tends to be on older laptops in my experience.
What kind would I need to get,
Laptops use SODIMM's but depends on the age of it.
Easiest way to find out for sure is to run the system scanner tool at Crucial Memory.
how many GB could I go up to
If you have a 32bit version of Windows then you can make use of a max of 4Gb RAM. If you have a 64bit version then the Crucial site will tell you the max your laptop can make use of. Generally though 4Gb should be plenty, but maybe as much as 8Gb if you run RAM intensive programs on the laptop.
and where is the best place to get it from?
The Crucial prices are generally fairly good for current spec RAM, but can be a little expensive for older DDR/DDR2. But as always once you know the RAM you need shop around for the best price.

Mark.

Thank you. I have ordered the memory from Crucial.

Memory installed and working great. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom