1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Linn Classik with Chakra amp...insanity?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mattuk72, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mattuk72

mattuk72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After three years of my Classik and Ninkas, I'm feeling the need to upgrade the amplification. When I bought the Ninkas, I heard them driven by the Classik's internal amp and then by an LK140 bypassing the internal power amp completely. The LK140 was a significant improvement.

I've just booked a demo at Grahams in London and the guy there suggested also listening to a four-channel Linn Chakra (hopefully a C4100 and not a C4200). He said then that would enable to take the Ninkas active. I asked if there was any reason not to go active now, even with a Classik as a front-end and he replied "no reason at all".

Now I know I'm going about this the wrong way and should upgrade the source first. But would it really be worth plugging an Ikemi into the back of the Classik? The plan eventually is to get an Ikemi-level front end so I was thinking of getting amplification that would do justice to that now. I don't want to have to sell equipment as part of the next upgrade.

Anyone have any comments?

Matt

PS FWIW, Grahams have said they can't (won't?) do an active demo and of course I'm loathe to buy anything I haven't heard, even from someone of their reputation.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This is the new Chakra range you're talking about isn't it? Not the Klimax Chakra range?
    If it was I'd suggest an upgrade of Pre amp to something like the AV5103 (A killer pre amp IMHO)
    I haven't actually heard the new Chakra range but imagine it would be excellent. Going active would be a big step up for a LINN system.
    Pity they won't demo it to you

3. mattuk72

mattuk72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, it's the new Chakra range. A Klimax really would be overkill with a Classik.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Going to an active system really does improve everything about a Linn system(having had both active and passive here)...timing,attack,control etc are all vastly improved.

As to the mismatch....yes,but if you're intending to upgrade slowly,then it makes good sense.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think I will hear this new amp tonight....

you plans actually make loads of sense and it is not a silly as it first might seem, and another vote for actives....which Linn does VERY well

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's a pity they can't do an active demo for you,and it may be worth searching out a dealer who can do that,as the difference is very obvious,and very worthwhile.

I had a lot of trouble finding a local dealer with most of the right gear when buying mine some yrs ago,and ended up with a decent demo,but using a set of 4 LK140s which were hopelessly underpowered,and clipped very easily.

Do remember that if you get a demo using anything less than the amps you eventually want.

7. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Martin-Kleiser in Beaconsfield, they're a Linn Elite dealer.

8. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    So are Grahams. Also, you have to have the complete Linn range if you want to be an Elite dealer. That's what my Linn rep told me anyway.