1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading is it worth it ....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wilber, Mar 13, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ... or are we just mugs with too much money?

Gotta ask this one on behalf of my little bruvver who has seen the shininess that is the Sony 555 av amp. Will he benefit for the upgrade from a Marantz 4200?

What do you people who just taken the plunge on buying big boy amps? (3803s & 2011s in partic seem to have been bought in numbers) - worth it or will the glow only last as long as it takes you to hoover up the polysyrene.

I've advised him to think long and hard about it - i'm not convinced that a change from a mid price amp to an expensive one will yield much benefit - but I don't own one.

Arguments about music v AV are not an issue as this is purely for AV.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from a AV amp to a processor/poweramp setup. Personally I would not bother upgrading from AV amp to AV amp to AV amp. Not worth it IMHO.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi wilber
    I upgraded from a yamaha 5540 receiver to a nad t752 and the differance is well worth it imo.There is alot more power in av and effects steering and detail retrieval is alot better.I suppose the best thing your brother could do was demo both amps side bye side then make his own mind up.
    Gonzo.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I'll upgrade as such. But when stuff starts to get old and knackered (say 4 or 5 years), then I'll just replace it. Will have had my money's worth by then :)

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Money's worth doesn't really come into little bro's think - Single and too much money :rolleyes:

I do feel that he's probably not going to be any happier with a new amp but you just can't tell some people

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Whether it's worth upgrading you amp depends a lot on what you're partnering it with ... what speakers, what sources, what size room, etc.

Vikki

7. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    There's no doubt that going pre/pro can give you flexibility, potential upgrade options & increased performance.
    However, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford the above situation, so at least they have the pick of a quite bewildering array of good Integrated designs.
    (Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha (at last!) & Harmon Kardon stuff etc)
    To the normal punter on the pavement, these one box solutions will be all they ever need. It's only silly so & so's like us that take it further:D
    You could argue that by the time person 'x' has swapped in his Integrated a few times to 'newer' specced units, he/she could've got a processor @ the outset, as the cost would've effectively been perhaps, lesser (sometimes, not allways) over the long run.
    I got to to this point when i had my Denon AVC10SE (A very capable machine). I saw & read that Denon etc.. (& the Audio Industry) were going to unleash various different sound formats & processes on us would be buyers, which would've meant me chopping in my AVC10SE at some point for a new goliath.
    It was then that i decided to investigate the pre/pro option, & the rest is history (as they say)...
    I know nothing can ever be future proof in this Industry, but @ least i have a flexible & damn good platform to work from.
    Who knows what will be sitting in our AV racks in 10-15 years time...The only thing i can think of, will be DUST:D

Adzman