Upgrading front speakers in my Monitor Audio RS5/RSLCR/RSW12 AV setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 8_ACE, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 8_ACE

8_ACE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My home setup is Monitor Audio RS5 (x4: Left, Right and 2 rears), RSLCR (centre) and RSW12 (sub) connected to a Denon 1910. I use this for stereo audio, stereo & 5.1 TV and 5.1 cinema sound - Basically, everthing. We listen to rock, ska, electro, pop, through CD, DAB, Spotify and streamed MP3 and FLAC. I recently moved to a larger open plan house, which has much more space to fill (15 metres long by 5 metres wide) so I'm considering upgrading the front left and right pair. My current considerations are 2nd hand RS6, RS8 or RX6.

My thoughts currently are the RS6 would slot straight in without adjusting anything else but should I aim a little higher? Possibly go for RS8, RX6 or RX8? The questions I'd like some help answering are:
    1) Would The RSLCR centre speaker need upgrading if I changed to RX6 or RX8 because they are tonally different due to the change in tweeters (etc)?
    2) Would the Denon 1910 do the RS8 or RX8 justice or would it also need upgrading?

Once I've decided on the fronts I'm then going to try using the replaced RS5 pair as surrounds in a 7.1 configuration, if the wife will allow 6 floorstanders in the house at once!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    What are you hoping this change will give you?
    Since the general advice in an AV system is to set all speakers to small and an 80Hz crossover I am not sure how much gain you will get from getting bigger versions of your current speakers. I suspect the difference in AV mode is going to be very small if non existent to be honest.
    Floorstanders are not ideal as surrounds due to them generally being too low to give the best rear effects. The general advice is to have rear speakers around 30cm or so above head height.
    The Denon 1910 is really the minimum receiver that would be recommended for the RS speakers and in fact the RS range were known for requiring really good amplification to sound their best. Hence I feel at the moment you are not getting the best from your current speakers and adding bigger fronts while moving the current speakers to the rear is only going to make that worse. Hence I would suggest a new amp really is required and in fact would be tempted to get a new amp ahead of more speakers as I feel it will probably give you more gains in terms of sound quality.
    If looking at the RX range then I would also get the RX centre as I feel the fronts really should be the same model to ensure the best front soundstage. You could try the RS centre with the RX first to see what you think.
    Although a lot more expensive I feel that if you really want to improve your sound quality then you really need to look to move up a level or 2 in terms of speakers (assuming you have a better amp to get the best from them). As I feel just getting the next size up within the same range brings very little to the table especially in a multi channel set up with sub.

3. 8_ACE

8_ACE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm mostly trying to improve performance of stereo audio playback while the amp is set to direct mode so, yes, I probably wouldn't get much gain in AV mode if I just upgraded the fronts. However, I'm happy with what I've got for movies and believe my RS5 rears work fine at head height while sat on my sofa.

I'll take a look at my options for upgrading my AV amp but not sure my budget can stretch that far. I thought trading the fronts from RS5 to RS6 would be a quite an effective upgrade and only cost me between £100-£200 if I sold the RS5 pair. But, if the RS series need better amplification than what the Denon 1910 amp provides then I will look at my options on the 2nd market for a new amp.

4. 8_ACE

8_ACE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you have any recommendations for an amp upgrade? If the Denon 1910 had pre-outs I could amp the fronts separately but it doesn't. I've been looking at the latest new AV receivers but not sure which would suit the characteristics of the MA RS range. When I bought mine I was advised that Denon or Yamaha were good pairings. Is this true of their latest offerings? Say the Denon X4000 or the Yamaha Aventage and RX-V 75 series? The ideal solution would be something second hand, 1-2 years old or a new end-of-line bargain as I really shouldn't go higher that £500

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    If secondhand then I would look at the Denon 23xx or 33xx series or Yamaha Adventage 10xx or 20xx series. You could also look at the Yamaha 1075 as this is very similar to the 1030 but a fair bit cheaper.
    Denon, Yamaha and Marantz receivers would be great pairings for your MA speakers.

6. 8_ACE

8_ACE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, thanks. That confirms I'm looking at the right stuff. I'm liking the idea of all the networking features on the newer amps for FLAC streaming. Hooking it up directly to my Spotify or LastFM would also be a bonus. I don't think Denon's 23xx series would give me much benefit over the 1910.
    BTW, I've decided to get rid of my 2 pairs of MA RS5. I'm collecting a pair of RS6 tomorrow and getting a pair of RSFX at the weekend. I'll break even on these 2 trades and will end up with what was sold as the RS6 AV package.

7. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    A better receiver will certainly bring you far greater benefits, as any speakers better than the RS range will be greatly underperforming.

8. 8_ACE

8_ACE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A new Yamaha RX-V1073 is looking the best candidate at the moment at £450 including postage. The spec of this machine looks to beat anything else at this price, new or second hand.