1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Tosh 36" PF2 to plasma...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iangilroy, Oct 20, 2004.

1. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about upgrading my Toshiba 36" PF2 to a plasma. At the moment I like the idea of the 42" Viera. I'm going to audition some panels in the very near future but I have a few questions that you guys can probably help with:

1. Does the Viera have an old-fashioned analogue tuner with teletext? This might be kind of a weird request but I actually use Teletext every day :blush:

2. From what I gather (and despite what the home cinema choice review said) the Viera doesn't support 720p. I can't work out if this is a real-world problem or not. I suspect that by the time I have a Sky box etc that outputs 720p then the shops are going to be full of cheap HDTV panels anyway.

3. The key thing: picture quality. Prog scan on my current TV looks great and I'm expecting DVDs/consoles via prog scan will look even better (and bigger) on the Viera. What I'm less sure about is Sky digital and consoles via RGB. IMHO the Tosh copes really well with Sky and I'm concerned that even though the Viera reportedly handles poorer inputs better than most plasmas I'm going to be disappointed by Sky PQ. I probably watch Sky more than DVDs so it's a real concern, especially for stuff like football. Any first-hand experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think the 720p thing is only an issue if you don't like the picture quality as is, because it restricts the use of an external scaler. The lack of a digital input along with the 720 issue, and front mounted VGA input finally kills this one for me, but there are plenty of happy owners. For sure you will always get a better picture with a monitor type panel and an external scaler, and for not vastly different money than the viera, but until you lash out some more money on a pronto remote or similar, it's not very wife friendly, and of course you need a sound system, ideally an AV amp with video switching. The Viera I think is best of type picture wise, especially with sky on RGB scart. It beats the Pioneer HDE on this count, but loses out on DVD. Your cal, really. Best to go see them, and make sure you check out the monitor only option if there is any chance of you going this way, the picture will blow you away.