Upgrading from Sony STR-DB930 to Sony STR-DN1040

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JAD30, Aug 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JAD30

JAD30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking about updating my old Sony STR-DB930 AV receiver (using a 5.1 surround), which I bought in early 1998 to upgrade a 2 years old Yamaha AV receiver. The STR-DB930 has served me well and was bought to take me into the digital age with it's optical & co-axial inputs, and to be honest I will be sad to see it go, as it sounds great!

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Sony STR-DN1040 hoping this will take me into the next generation of home entertainment. All or most of my music is stored in MP3 format on my QNAP NAS drive and I access to it via my Logitech Squeezebox touch which in turn is connected to the STR-DB930. I also have a CD player (using an analogue connection), Sky HD, Sony Blue-Ray Player, and Playstaion 3 all connected via the optical or co-axial inputs.

But before I make my purchase I would like to know what you think and maybe answers my questions and ease my fears.

1. Will this new model sound as good?
    2. Is there a way to connect a turntable & tape deck as having a look at the back, the connections have been taken off? (admittedly I only listen to vinyl about once a year, or if find an old cassette tape I would like to have a listen to.)
    3. I also use a Logitch Harmony 650 will this work with STR-DN1040?

During the working week my AV Amp does not get much use as the sound from my TV (Philips 42PFL9664) is pretty good, and so it's switched off. But it gets used a lot at weekends with Films & Music.

How would this work with Sony STR-DN1040 as I would connect it all using HDMI. does is pass through when switched off? And if I have to leave it on all the time how much power would this use?

Please let me know your thoughts.:)

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Why not use the receiver for all viewing since it will make all programs sound better although I believe the 1040 will do HDMI passthrough although this can cause unexpected problems with sound formats etc. Also not all pass through systems allow you to change source when in standby so would need to check this too. The power usage of the receiver is not going to be huge to be honest and I suspect will only cost you a few pounds a year extra. It will work fine with your harmony remote.
    If the 1040 does not have a phono input for the record deck you will need a phono preamp between the turntable and the receiver. You do not have to spend a fortune on one of these and Richer Sounds do a few budget ones.
    Not sure how the 1040 will compare to your current receiver in terms of sound quality but at best I suspect it will be a sideways step and may even be a slight drop. I would recommend going to listen to it first to see what you think of it. What speakers do you have?

3. JAD30

JAD30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speakers are Mordaunt Short Avant 902i fronts, JBL Mr Centre, JPW Mini Monitor backs+Sub.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    What is your budget for the change?

5. JAD30

JAD30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About £800...

6. ladaloutevans

ladaloutevans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony reciever and personally blown away by the sound quality especially in 2ch stereo.. bi wireing your front speakers is a must.
    The pass through is a bit hit and miss and to be honest no tv inbuilt speakers will sound good when compared to decent front av speakers..I o ly use my pass through for about ten mins on a kor ing watching bbc news.
    The network featyres are very good and I suspect ypu wouldnt have any difficulty there.
    Regards
    Dave

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If you have £800 then could look at the Onkyo 818 which would be a big step up from your current receiver. That said it would really deserve better speakers than your current ones to get the best from it.
    Ladaliutevans: I assume you mean biamping the fronts and not biwiring?