• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading from Sky+ to Sky+ HD

alexburn

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a multi-room setup (Sky+ box and standard box at £10 a month extra). Had the setup about 3 years so not tied into a 12 month contract.

I want to upgrade to Sky+ HD.
I already have a Sky+ HD box (bought second hand).
Can I just swap the Sky+ box with the HD box, call Sky and pair it up at no extra cost?

If yes, will this automatically give me the HD channels?
Or will I need to pay Sky extra for the HD channels?

Dont want to call Sky out to fit the box if I can just swap it over for free.

Many thanks

BrianMc

Established Member
Can I just swap the Sky+ box with the HD box, call Sky and pair it up at no extra cost?
Yes - just be careful Sky don't activate SkyHD (unless that's what you want!) when they are re-pairing the new STB.
If yes, will this automatically give me the HD channels?
BBCHD, C4HD , ITVHD and LuxeHD only.
Or will I need to pay Sky extra for the HD channels?
If you want any except the 4 above you will! £10/month for SkyHD.

maxbiaggi

Standard Member
Hi New here.

I'm struggling to get an upgrade from my current Sky+ to Sky HD installed. I ordered the upgrade online back in December and was told "3 months". (£49 box + £30 installation + £50 M&S voucher)

I phoned to check that it was now "2 months" but it's not, it's still "3 months".

I was also told that they now have a self-install option (£49 box + £30 "courier fee" :rotfl: ) I decided to think about it.

I'm now considering my options.

Is it better to buy a box of my choice off ebay, for example and then I can pick the model?

or

Enter the Sky box lottery?

If I chose the "buy my own" route which box should I buy?

All input welcome! :thumbsup:

alexburn

Standard Member
Hi New here.

I'm struggling to get an upgrade from my current Sky+ to Sky HD installed. I ordered the upgrade online back in December and was told "3 months". (£49 box + £30 installation + £50 M&S voucher)

I phoned to check that it was now "2 months" but it's not, it's still "3 months".

I was also told that they now have a self-install option (£49 box + £30 "courier fee" :rotfl: ) I decided to think about it.

I'm now considering my options.

Is it better to buy a box of my choice off ebay, for example and then I can pick the model?

or

Enter the Sky box lottery?

If I chose the "buy my own" route which box should I buy?

All input welcome! :thumbsup:

Put it this way, to get a Sky+HD box from Ebay, you'll be looking at paying around £175 for a 'new' one or £150 for a decent second hand one. Depends if you want to pay the extra. Also, anything that Sky send you will have a solid warranty, Ebay items may not! Worth a thought.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom