Upgrading from Rel T-zero

mr4kino

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need your help as I want to upgrade to a movie adapted sub. I just sold my Rel T-zero and discovered so many brands and models that I'm kinda lost.

To make easier, here are my "conditions":

Budget: 600 euros MAX

Max Sizes:
  • Width: 40.8cm (16")
  • Depth: 62cm (24")
  • Height "unlimited"
Sound type: Movies. I don't really listen to music. So I would like something that goes around the 20Hz

Other: No neighbors, Tile floor, Living room is 28sqm (300sqft) but my HC/Sofa is using half of the room.

So I found the BK P12-300SB-PR that seems to be really good. They were also a Klipsch R-115SW, unfortunately, it's too wide. Same for the BK Monolith.
I've found a good price on a new SVS SB12-NSD. It's old but from the comments here that seem to be a really good value (579 euros).
There is finally this SVS PB1000, 599 euros, 10" but Ported and seems to go as low as 19Hz.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I need your help as I want to upgrade to a movie adapted sub. I just sold my Rel T-zero and discovered so many brands and models that I'm kinda lost.

To make easier, here are my "conditions":

Budget: 600 euros MAX

Max Sizes:
  • Width: 40.8cm (16")
  • Depth: 62cm (24")
  • Height "unlimited"
Sound type: Movies. I don't really listen to music. So I would like something that goes around the 20Hz

Other: No neighbors, Tile floor, Living room is 28sqm (300sqft) but my HC/Sofa is using half of the room.

So I found the BK P12-300SB-PR that seems to be really good. They were also a Klipsch R-115SW, unfortunately, it's too wide. Same for the BK Monolith.
I've found a good price on a new SVS SB12-NSD. It's old but from the comments here that seem to be a really good value (579 euros).
There is finally this SVS PB1000, 599 euros, 10" but Ported and seems to go as low as 19Hz.

Many thanks

What a shame you are limited size wise cause PB12-NSD would have been little bit over 700€! Where you have the spot for sub in your room if i may ask?

If the decision comes down to SB12-NSD and PB1000, pick the latter. It will fill the room better with more deep bass and overall impact from the ported cab! The cabinet size is quite a lot larger and cause of that it will outperform the SB12-NSD even with the smaller driver. SVS is also safe choice to buy locally with long amp warranty plus superb service/support.

What a shame you are limited size wise cause PB12-NSD would have been little bit over 700€! Where you have the spot for sub in your room if i may ask?

If the decision comes down to SB12-NSD and PB1000, pick the latter. It will fill the room better with more deep bass and overall impact from the ported cab! The cabinet size is quite a lot larger and cause of that it will outperform the SB12-NSD even with the smaller driver. SVS is also safe choice to buy locally with long amp warranty plus superb service/support.

Hey!

Thanks for your reply.

I have only once place I would say, left side of my TV. You can see a picture here with the REL:
fum9lv2xqzd41.jpg

Alternatively, I could put it to the left of the Sofa, but with the kids, I fear the sub might become a "jumping" step for them to play on top of it.....

So my solution would be to swap my tv stand with a smaller one (I'm limited to the right by the fireplace). The issue is that it implies additional costs :) PB12-NSD is 699 euros from homecinesolutions. And add to that the price of a new TV stand.

Now is it a real upgrade from the PB1000?

Wiser to pick the best you can afford/fit, cause with this hobby you start to crave more fast. You can always turn down the larger one, but you can`t get more from the small one! Looking PB2000 it costs 1k€ there and this older model isn´t that far away from it performance wise meaning the next upgrade would be PB4000 which grows big time and costs lot more. So all in all this would be the sweet spot for you value/performance wise. 12" driver in a larger cabinet and bit more power/headroom for 100€ extra i would say is quite a no brainer if you can stretch it. Would want to see your face after hearing either one cause the T-Zero is a toy compared to these two with movies. :laugh: You don´t even have neighbours so the decision should be even more clearer and you won´t get buyers remorse. ;)

Ed from SVS answered question about PB1000 vs. PB12NSD below. The guy asking had smaller room than yours but with opening so overall around same ball park.

The PB12-NSD has about 50% more max output than the PB-1000 in the 18-36 Hz octave (they have similar max output in the 40-80 Hz octave). So subjectively the PB12-NSD will provide greater levels of slam/impact/pressure at higher playback levels in that size room.

Not gonna lie, you convinced me pretty well :facepalm: My brain is telling me to wait till tomorrow and have a chat with the store to see if I can get a small discount.

Not gonna lie, you convinced me pretty well :facepalm: My brain is telling me to wait till tomorrow and have a chat with the store to see if I can get a small discount.

Great! Well by all means have a chat tomorrow, you never know as there is often air in those list prices. If you know how to talk you should get some discount / free shipping (not sure how it works in France). :)

Here is a short video to motivate you more and shows the size in typical lounge.

That is mighty impressive...
Who knows I might drive 100km each way to pick it physically from the store tomorrow :rotfl:

@mr4kino
There shouldn`t be any break in period by SVS, but the driver could still loosen up bit more etc. Just keep playing it daily.. It will also sound stronger when you move it to that corner. Which receiver you have? Hope you get the new narrower (but not lower) av-cab soon!

@mr4kino
There shouldn`t be any break in period by SVS, but the driver could still loosen up bit more etc. Just keep playing it daily.. It will also sound stronger when you move it to that corner. Which receiver you have? Hope you get the new narrower (but not lower) av-cab soon!

Perfect thanks for the advice.
Well I'm supposed to get it tomorrow night. It's 10cm less than the current one I have (so I should slide in with 3cm for each side that are free). But now with your comment I'm hesitating as it is much lower: 34cm compared to the 54cm I have currently:
I found it at an excellent price (100 euros) with the suspension included.
I could buy a speaker "tilter" in this case?
There is this one: Soundxtra Tilting Table universelle de bureau Support Enceinte pour Soundbar Large Argent | eBay
From a guy on Reddit it works perfectly with the same Kef Q650C that I have. :

Perfect thanks for the advice.
Well I'm supposed to get it tomorrow night. It's 10cm less than the current one I have (so I should slide in with 3cm for each side that are free). But now with your comment I'm hesitating as it is much lower: 34cm compared to the 54cm I have currently:
I found it at an excellent price (100 euros) with the suspension included.
I could buy a speaker "tilter" in this case?
There is this one: Soundxtra Tilting Table universelle de bureau Support Enceinte pour Soundbar Large Argent | eBay
From a guy on Reddit it works perfectly with the same Kef Q650C that I have. :

Not a fan of low av-cabinets as the tv will go lower aswell, but if you feel it won´t be problem for you then proceed. Clearly you have to angle the speaker and "tilting table" looks fine for the job.

Hey!

Thanks for your reply.

I have only once place I would say, left side of my TV. You can see a picture here with the REL:
fum9lv2xqzd41.jpg

Alternatively, I could put it to the left of the Sofa, but with the kids, I fear the sub might become a "jumping" step for them to play on top of it.....

So my solution would be to swap my tv stand with a smaller one (I'm limited to the right by the fireplace). The issue is that it implies additional costs :) PB12-NSD is 699 euros from homecinesolutions. And add to that the price of a new TV stand.

Now is it a real upgrade from the PB1000?

Like the Pic :)

So here we go. Finally, I received everything and I'm pretty happy with the results.
@Gasp3621, massive thank you, that SVS is almost fearsome. When I crank it up I hear some objects shaking sounds coming from God knows where in my house :rotfl::D
BTW the receiver is a Denon X1500H

DSCF0334.jpg

So here we go. Finally, I received everything and I'm pretty happy with the results.
@Gasp3621, massive thank you, that SVS is almost fearsome. When I crank it up I hear some objects shaking sounds coming from God knows where in my house :rotfl::D
BTW the receiver is a Denon X1500H

View attachment 1271138

Awesome! Some thick curtains at left side would be good idea. Looking very nice and happy to hear you feel it was worth it. :) Shows again that quality sub can make dramatic change to ones system. Good reason to re-watch your old movies again. :laugh:

Last edited:
I upgraded from a REL q150e to a SVS PB2000 pro, I haven't stop laughing ever since.
20200219_193948.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom