Upgrading from Q3010 To Kef, B&W, Focal Or Revel ?

solaire

So, my right speaker seems to have gone over night, did the usual checks and cable swaps and nothing so I'm needing to upgrade from the Q3010's as running I’m using the centre as a temporary right speaker. (Had them since 2016 so I'm ok with replacing them as they only cost £70)

Hoping to get some community thoughts on what I should replace them with. (Due to Covid-19 closing store’s I’ll be making the purchase without listening apart from the 806 that I’ve heard before)

Are the 3030i's punching above their price range? Looking over the forum posts the consensus seems to be to pick up the older Concept 20's over the new 3030i's. (The Concept 300 is out of my price range)

With the lack of outstanding review for the 3030i it's got me thinking about moving up a tier or two to either the

B&W 606
Focal Aria 806
Kef R3
Revel Concerta2 M16

The room size is 16'10 v 16'1, speakers are currently powered from a Denon X3500H that is connected to NUC, NAS, Switch, TV. Sub is a Very old & large HK that I’ll get around to replacing at a later date.

Thanks

JP

gibbsy

KEF R3s would be a significant upgrade over the QAs. Are you running just a stereo set up from the Denon or are the replacements going to be part of a surround sound set up?

solaire

KEF R3s would be a significant upgrade over the QAs. Are you running just a stereo set up from the Denon or are the replacements going to be part of a surround sound set up?
Currently running 3.1 ( L,C,R ) with the sub normally listen to a lot of music even before the current WFH so they'll be used in stero alot. Don't think I'll go to 5.1 anytime soon for movies.

solaire

Currently running 3.1 ( L,C,R ) with the sub normally listen to a lot of music even before the current WFH so they'll be used in stero alot. Don't think I'll go to 5.1 anytime soon for movies.

gibbsy

You should really consider a companion centre in the R2C for the preservation of timbre across the front soundstage. I believe you would hear a bigger difference with a KEF centre over a QA.

christianreis1971

Novice Member
The B&W is very crisp & detailed. I am very happy with it for a stereo setup, had to add a subwoofer and the result is very pleasing. I can play music for hours. Mine is paired to a Rotel RA-11. The KEF R3 should also be a great match, very solid pair.