1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from PTAE100 to PTAE500/700 projector, big improvement?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Oct 2, 2004.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all hope your all well over here at the AV forums. OK i have a panasonic PTAE100 projector, i got it first day it came out and love it to bits. Thing is now im thinking of upgrading. I will be upgrading to the PTAE500 most probably, does this model have scart input if I remember.

Also ive just read on here about the PTAE700 coming out, anyone know anything about this, details of it etc.

Will going from my PTAE100 to a PTAE500/700 be a big leap in quality.

Ive also got a cheapo compack DVD player for £3 from Safeway so I presume I can further improve the picture and sound quality by getting a decent DVD player, any recommendations.

Will I be blown away by the leap in quality from a PTAE100 to either the 500 or 700. Do DVD players have the dvi input the 700 has.

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    I think even upgrading your dvd player to progressive scan /component or a PC would improve the image on the 100!

I have mine linked to a HCPC and its great - if I was to upgrade I would expect spectacular results!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, the 500 has a SCART.

Plenty of comments on the AE700 in this forum. :)

Yes, PQ will be significantly better with either, though as Donnacha says, your 100 would benefit from a DVD player upgrade and a 500 or 700 won't give you anything like their best using a basic player like the one you have at present.

Many DVD players do have DVI, though again many don't. Note that DVI is being replaced by HDMI, if you have a DVD player with such a connector you need to ensure that the projector has either HDMI (still uncommon) or DVI that supports HDCP .. the 500 doesn't have DVI the 700 has HDMI and DVI (though the latter is labelled as a 'PC' input). A DVD player with DVI can be connected to a projector with HDMI.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just upgraded via this route Brad - circumstances/personal expectations will dictate whether or not it's a worthwhile upgrade path for yourself.

If you aren't going to feed the 500 a better source, I'd say don't bother. That's what decision I came to a couple of months ago. I already had the 100 eating a well tuned HCPC source and was more than happy with the results on DVD. I looked at the 500 a couple of months ago - big thanks to Pantages for giving me a demo - and although I could see it was superior, I wasn't completely convinced the upgrade cost was worthwhile. To others the cost may well be more that wothwhile - it's all personally subjective.

I liked the lack of screen door and was happy with the "smooth" screen technology, but for me at the time the benefits did not justify the cost to upgrade.

Two months down the line I started to look at HiDef stuff and was making comparisons between the 100 and my PC monitor. Basically the PC monitor provided a much, much better picture - because of the increased resolution of the monitor, it showed up enormously. Also, the HiDef images on the 100 didn't look to me much better than DVD - Superbit, possibly better, standard, that's all.

I made a decision that if I were to continue watching HiDef stuff, the 100 was just not good enough. A quick question to members here resulted in confirmation that the 500 would improve the detail and clarity of HiDef stuff no end.

Anyway, I now have the 500 chomping away on a DVI fed source from my HCPC and on good HiDef material, it's fantastic. The jump for me is amazing. In my own home environment as well, I noticed that the 500 offered a much improved image quality - especially with blacks - this did surprise me, as this was one area I didn't notice when I looked at the 500 a couple of months ago (basically cos' I wasn't viewing it in my own home - which to me will now be a very important factor when I next look to upgrade)

Not an easy decision Brad - and one really only you can decide. If you can get a demo in your own home, or failing that, take your 100 to demo it against a 500 (so you have both machines on a level playing field), that's the only way for sure you'll convince yourself that's it's a worthwhile upgrade.

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It does have DVI? (....does DVI come in different incarnations?)

What system do you run Kragorn?

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    The Pc input is VGA, so unless DVI and VGA are the same there is no DVI on the 700 although it is possable to get a HDMI to DVI cable.

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dvi-D = only a digital signal
    Dvi-I = Digital & analog signal (dvi & vga)

Ae500 has a dvi-d input

8. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I was referring to the 700

9. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...thanks for clearing that one up - thought as much!

10. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    go on brad, you know you want one! (then sell me your ae100, I'm after one in the classifieds for a music project ;))