Upgrading from PS2 - what can I get past the wife?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sulis, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We've put up with the whirring sound, crap remote and indifferent playback of our kids' PlayStation2 for our DVDs for 2 years now. My wife's fine with it (of course) since we mainly watch SKY+, but I reckon the lack of noise might swing a new DVD player. And the CD player needs an upgrade, too...

We'll be upgrading to a 37" Panny plasma (how I got THAT through, I do not know) but she's baulked at the £8,000 total I'd planned for a new setup. I was hoping to get an Arcam D79, but I think that's out of the question. What would be the most musical DVD player that can also deliver a pretty good picture for plasma? I'm thinking around the £400 mark, but can be persuaded upwards if you can provide killer WAF facts...

Or would it make more sense to go for a relatively cheap DVD player (£150) and get a £300 CD player as well?

Thanks, guys.

2. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    If you're going to go for the cheap side,
    I'd recommend the Pioneer 575. RRP is £150, I purchased it for £120 from RGB Direct before Xmas.
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?SKUNumber=102171

Rated No.1 in all reviews and comparisons with DVD players upto £300 range.
    Plays anything, inc SACD.

edit:

OH by the way ... the new PS2's do NOT whir!!
    I have the Satin Silver one (before the newest slimline version) and it is VERY quiet!! Also has infra red so you can operate with a wireless remote!

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    If it has I can reccomend the Denon 1910, about £200 online with say £20 for a DVI-D cable ?

:thumbsup:

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, I've seen the latest slimline PS2 and it's silent... I can probably do better as a DVD player, though... The NEC plasmas have DVI - does that make that much difference over component?

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I decided I am not that keen on the Pioneer DV575. It can be noisy and the build quality is not very good. However, if SACD/DVD audio is not a priority then the DV470 is the same without the audio capabilities. The picture quality was excellent though.

I opted for a Sony NS585 and extremely pleased with it. On my setup the picture quality is about the same and is only £90 multi region from Amazon.co.uk. It looks much nicer as well. I got mine when it was £99.99. I am using component output.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00029HBI8/qid=1105050761/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/026-7527907-8230816

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Cheap second hand DVD player and External Dac. Then you can ditch the CD player all together. Will, of course, depend on what you're using for amplification but should give you what you want from DVD player and the Music side of things.
    Look out for MF, Tag, DAC's etc.
    Just another way of doing things.....

7. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Visually ... yes.