Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading from Pro Logic

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bazzason, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am about to upgrade from good old pro logic. i am looking at:

Denon 1804
    Marantz 4400

i don't really want to go higher than £300. the rest of my system comprises a denon dvd700, mission M34 floorstanders, M3 centre and M30 rears.

i like to listen to a wide variety of music, from cinematic orchestra to slayer! i am looking for a receiver that will be more about the sound quality than the features it has, that will ideally compliment the other equipment i have. i am not looking for pre-outs for power amps or anything like that.

how different is the marantz 5400 from the above two? if it is a noticable improvement i might stretch the budget... ;) a listening test is not really feasible due to time constraints and proximity to dealers.

which of these would you recommend, or others if you feel they require a mention.

cheers
    baz

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  3. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why is it whenever i use a forum to gain peoples views, i invariably spend far more than i first intended...!?! now, the 5400 seems to be my benchmark... ;)

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What do you mean :D both my idea's are within your price :)

5. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know, and i am grateful...! :)

any idea what peter tyson are like as an online retailer? i've never used them before...

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    They are superb. I got a MS premeire+ system from them and was informed every step of the way what was happoning. I happily recommend them. :) Also when the fuse blew on the 309 they knew exactly what was happoning and sent me replacemnets within days. Very impressed :smashin:

If you want another opinion on the 5400 OSE speak to Tons of Fun as he has used it.

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I second Dfour on Peter Tyson service. Ordered my speakers from them and they happily changed their advertised package to allow me to have different front speakers; 1 of the front and 1 of the rear speakers were damaged in transit and they were all replaced with absolutely no hastle and was kept fully informed of the original purchase/delivery and the replacement/delivery :smashin: