1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Pro Logic

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bazzason, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am about to upgrade from good old pro logic. i am looking at:

Denon 1804
    Marantz 4400

i don't really want to go higher than £300. the rest of my system comprises a denon dvd700, mission M34 floorstanders, M3 centre and M30 rears.

i like to listen to a wide variety of music, from cinematic orchestra to slayer! i am looking for a receiver that will be more about the sound quality than the features it has, that will ideally compliment the other equipment i have. i am not looking for pre-outs for power amps or anything like that.

how different is the marantz 5400 from the above two? if it is a noticable improvement i might stretch the budget... ;) a listening test is not really feasible due to time constraints and proximity to dealers.

which of these would you recommend, or others if you feel they require a mention.

cheers
    baz

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  3. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why is it whenever i use a forum to gain peoples views, i invariably spend far more than i first intended...!?! now, the 5400 seems to be my benchmark... ;)

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What do you mean :D both my idea's are within your price :)

5. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know, and i am grateful...! :)

any idea what peter tyson are like as an online retailer? i've never used them before...

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    They are superb. I got a MS premeire+ system from them and was informed every step of the way what was happoning. I happily recommend them. :) Also when the fuse blew on the 309 they knew exactly what was happoning and sent me replacemnets within days. Very impressed :smashin:

If you want another opinion on the 5400 OSE speak to Tons of Fun as he has used it.

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I second Dfour on Peter Tyson service. Ordered my speakers from them and they happily changed their advertised package to allow me to have different front speakers; 1 of the front and 1 of the rear speakers were damaged in transit and they were all replaced with absolutely no hastle and was kept fully informed of the original purchase/delivery and the replacement/delivery :smashin: