Upgrading from plasma to 4K

DolbyDan

I went from a Panasonic plasma to a LG OLED. As good with motion, about the same with retention, goes quick. Blacks are black, detail is different level to the plasma and contrast is astonishing.

I have a 32” Sony lcd in my bedroom and its great, but when you go big the smallest errors are obvious. I don’t love my parents motion on their 55” Samsung new QLED, but my Nans older but top of the range 1080p 47” Panasonic LCD is nearly on par with the OLED.

If I had the money I would get the Panasonic OLED, just for the proven engine.

BigBee

I went from a Panasonic plasma to a LG OLED. As good with motion, about the same with retention, goes quick. Blacks are black, detail is different level to the plasma and contrast is astonishing.

I have a 32” Sony lcd in my bedroom and its great, but when you go big the smallest errors are obvious. I don’t love my parents motion on their 55” Samsung new QLED, but my Nans older but top of the range 1080p 47” Panasonic LCD is nearly on par with the OLED.

If I had the money I would get the Panasonic OLED, just for the proven engine.

Thanks for your post.

Do you mean the EZ952?

DolbyDan

Yes, there really is not much wrong with the LG, just polish and Panasonic are the kings with accurate colours, motion and I bet their take of HDR is better too.

BigBee

Yes, there really is not much wrong with the LG, just polish and Panasonic are the kings with accurate colours, motion and I bet their take of HDR is better too.
Thanks for that. Trouble is, if I consider stretching to the Panasonic, at that price point the A1 will then only be £ 500 away and I'll probably end up thinking I may as well get that one!! The fancy speaker doesn't bother me that much as I have my own surround but it seems the picture / motion etc is top notch.

Dodgexander

@BigBee I don't think the Sony warrants the extra money over the Panasonic, it may be best for motion but I don't think its £500 better. The Panasonic is also very decent with motion.

Philips have announced their first 65" OLED and they are notoriously good with motion with more competitive pricing usually, see: Philips 65POS9603 review

But the problem with Philips is always availability, hopefully we see that TV available to buy in the UK soon.

But in terms of pure bang for buck right now you can't beat the LG models. Even with £1500 extra to spend I would seriously advise someone not to spend the extra, there are things that the LGs do better than even the Panasonic and Sony models and they are a lot cheaper. HDR tone mapping is a great example and a very important one at that.

Bide your time though, sales will come and we are seeing more and more OLED competition this year with Toshiba also entering the market. Hopefully we can see those 65" models become more competitively priced compared to LCDs.

BigBee

@BigBee I don't think the Sony warrants the extra money over the Panasonic, it may be best for motion but I don't think its £500 better. The Panasonic is also very decent with motion.

Philips have announced their first 65" OLED and they are notoriously good with motion with more competitive pricing usually, see: Philips 65POS9603 review

But the problem with Philips is always availability, hopefully we see that TV available to buy in the UK soon.

But in terms of pure bang for buck right now you can't beat the LG models. Even with £1500 extra to spend I would seriously advise someone not to spend the extra, there are things that the LGs do better than even the Panasonic and Sony models and they are a lot cheaper. HDR tone mapping is a great example and a very important one at that.

Bide your time though, sales will come and we are seeing more and more OLED competition this year with Toshiba also entering the market. Hopefully we can see those 65" models become more competitively priced compared to LCDs.
Thanks for the advice as always - very helpful indeed!

Will probably get round to looking at TVs mid November-ish I reckon as we've got some work to do in the lounge before then. Hopefully by that time prices may have dropped a little more [emoji4]

BigBee

Hi

Just thought I'd update regarding my purchase :)

Due to coming from a plasma, I'd kind of settled on an OLED (specifically LGB7) but then the offer came up for the E7 so we went to our local Richer Sounds in order to demo some of our own discs. We've got some David Attenborough blurays and there's a particular scene on one of them of a camera panning across some icebergs which a few years ago caused a Samsung LCD we looked at to judder really badly - which incidentally then lead to us going down the plasma route. All of our discs displayed perfectly so we purchased the E7 from JL (long story - mostly price match / ease of return related) and our 65" E7 was installed 19th December.

We're absolutely over the moon with it. I had reservations regarding how OLEDs handle motion but I have to say it handles everything perfectly. HD and UHD are obviously pretty stunning, and even SD TV channels aren't anything like as bad as I thought they'd be. Obviously not as good as HD / UHD but not terrible, and certainly watchable. I had my doubts regarding how much of an 'upgrade' a new TV could be over our still much loved plasma, but it's truly fantastic. Wonderful picture! Would have bought the B7 but with discounts etc the E7 was the same price, and then you're getting the picture on glass design as well as the better speaker - so it would have been rude not to!! :D

Anyway, thought I'd post for those thinking of upgrading from a plasma to an OLED just to say it can work out really well.

Thanks all for your input and a Happy New Year to you! :thumbsup:

SonOfSJ

@BigBee I'm happy for you with your new 65E7, good stuff! But, what has happened to your old plasma, presumably the Panasonic 42GT30?? Have you relegated the plasma to another room? Or will you give it away, or try to sell it? Plasmas don't fetch as much second-hand as they used to - for instance, two months ago I bought a 60" Samsung 3D plasma on here for £350.

Oh, and I'm pleased that you have updated your signature to reflect the new OLED!

BigBee

@BigBee I'm happy for you with your new 65E7, good stuff! But, what has happened to your old plasma, presumably the Panasonic 42GT30?? Have you relegated the plasma to another room? Or will you give it away, or try to sell it? Plasmas don't fetch as much second-hand as they used to - for instance, two months ago I bought a 60" Samsung 3D plasma on here for £350.

Oh, and I'm pleased that you have updated your signature to reflect the new OLED!

Yes, we kept it - it's now in our bedroom :)

Lovely TV, and I didn't think we could better it but I stand corrected! There's nothing wrong with it, it was just too small for our new lounge (we moved house in September).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom