1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Pioneer 525 to ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barrovian, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm in the market to upgrade my trusty Pioneer 525, and I'm considering either the Pioneer 350 or the Sony DVP-NS405. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Sony. Has anyone made a similar change or have opinions one way or another?
    Thanks.

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure but shot me if yoyu like but isn't the 525 superior to the 350

3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

I realise its not quite the same but I've just changed (last week) from a Pioneer 535 to a Toshiba 220e. Unfortunately, I only compared the two for an hour or so as I needed to ship the 535 (sold it on ebay).

I fed both players into a Panasonic AE100 PJ, the 535 via RGB and the 220e via component. I bought the 220e as I needed to swop to a player with component outputs as the Panasonic isn't keen on the RGB input from the 535.

To be honest, I didn't see a great difference in picture quality. I thought the 220e was marginally more detailed but nothing I could swear to.

Not sure what TV/PJ you have but I'd be suprised if you're blown away by the improvements (if any) swopping to a player like the 350 or the Sony you mention.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I'm replacing my pioneer dv-525 as well, although I'm replacing mine as I want a player with more picture controls.
    I'm awaiting delivery of a jvc xv-n5, which is quite a s****y looking player with more picture controls than you can shake a stick at.
    From what I've seen of it in use, it seems to have a sharper picture but not an amazing difference, but it looks better and the picture controls should help me to improve my picture.
    The jpeg feature was also an important point.
    I'll let you know how it compares.

5. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for the replies, Guys.

I don't think I was really expecting a major difference in performance. I'm happy with the Pioneer 525, but I'll come clean.. it's black and all my other kit is silver and I want something to match. :blush:
    The 525 will still get use in the spare room.
    I think I'll go for the Sony.

Cheers

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Any idea why the word slinky was starred out in my post?