Upgrading from Panasonic PT- AX100U - suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by P Adams, Mar 3, 2013.

1. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I am thinking about upgrading our Panasonic PT-AX100U projector

We have had this for approx 4 years and use it projected onto an 84" Projecta drop down screen, approx 14 feet away from our seating position. The projector is not permanently mounted, but gets placed on a purpose built shelf, which gets brought out and hooked onto custom fixings which are covered by a large picture when the PJ is not in use

This is very wife / living room friendly, and allows for the PJ to be lined up pretty much perfectly in the centre of the screen, which is a version that has an extra deep black border at the top of the roll-down

The projector was bought for me by my work for long service, so I can't complain, and has only 200 hours on the bulb. We used our Pioneer Kuro mostly in the early days, but are now finding we watch films via the PJ more frequently. We've even made a mask with black velvet applied for 2.35:1 ratio films, which helps with contrast and perceived black levels

We view a mixture of blu rays and DVDs from a Pioneer BDP-51FD player and Sky HD content and are very happy but I was wondering if we could get something with a touch more deeper black level, and whether 1080p would be a major step-up from the Panasonic's 720p output for a 'sensible' outlay. I suppose £1,500 would be our limit

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

2. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    i have the panasonic and a 1080p Sony VW60 - i recently converted the spare room into a 'cinema' and whilst the VW60 was waiting to be fixed onto the ceiling i was using the Panasonic again perched on a box

the panasonic i still really like but the Sony is noticeably better (as you would expect for a more expensive 1080p pj) in detail and the black level, just generally a more cinematic picture

for your budget you could pick up a second hand JVC or Sony that would be a step up from the Panasonic - ideally you would be looking for a demo which wouldn't be easy if buying second hand. I think for £1500 you could also get a new 1080p pj which would be a step up in quality - maybe someone else could give you a pointer of what are the best models in that price range (as i don't know!!)

the panasonic was an excellent pj in its time but i think it is a good time to upgrade.....

3. plasma_novice

plasma_novice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I went from this same Panasonic to my Epson TW-9000 last summer. Aside from the slightly washed out greys of the Panny, I was really happy with it and didn't think I'd notice much of a difference, but wow!!! Have to say that the Epson is a great choice, even more so for wife friendly rooms that are more beige/light in colour than they are dark - don't think it will come in on budget though unless you could find someone selling 2nd hand.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +682
    I would say that you would need to view some of the new projectors as there are a few more available this year.

If your quick you maybe able to pick up the last of the HD33 which is slowly coming to the end of it's life.

to replace your LCD projector that leaves the Epson EH-TW6100. This projector will seem very familar as it uses a similar components to keep its price down.

Neither of these PJ offer you lens shift and I wouldn't recommend using the keystone on either.

If you can stretch your budget a little I feel the best replacement for you would be the EH-TW8100 as it offers lens shift together with the zoom. Be aware though it's a big boy in relation to yours.

Regards, Shane.

5. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks very much for the advice. I'll look into your options over the weekend

By the way I bought the Panasonic from Roy Jowett AV!