Upgrading from old 10mb Cable connection to 50mb Fibre

Phil Scott

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just gone through the upgrade process on the VM website. I am currently on an old cable connection 10mb (which they don't provide any more) and it is totally reliable and don't really ever notice any slow down, seems to be about 10mb all the time.

I have gone for the 50mb fibre connection as this works out to be about a fiver more a month.

The only thing I am concerned about is reading of all the issues with this connection. I am wondering if the old cable network would be better to stick with as less people are now on it etc and more stable.

Am I making a mistake in upgrading? I would like the extra speed but really don't want to introduce any problems as this will be a big pain!

Also, the earliest upgrade date was a month away :laugh: so plenty of time to change my mind.

Has anyone else recently upgraded to the 50mb or other from the cable connection and can share their experiences?

Thanks for any insight!

Phil

Hi.
I'm with Virgin too. I thought the 50mb was meant to be far more stable than say 30mb. Been reading many posts about since I was offered to upgrade from 20mb to 30mb. There is hearsay that there would be a free upgrade to the next tier for all existing customers this year so if you were on 10mb you'd be going up to 30mb as I believe that will be the bottom tier with 50mb and 100mb respectively.

Im on 10mb and thers no plans to auto upgrade 10mb customers to 30mb,wish there was.

Im on 10mb and thers no plans to auto upgrade 10mb customers to 30mb,wish there was.

How do you know that? Apparently at some stage this year all 10mb customers will be upgraded to 20mb atleast! You maybe one of the lucky ones who get a "fast tickle" and are upgraded first. This looks how it will go....
10mb will be 20mb
30mb will be 60mb
50mb will be 100mb.

I sure hope your right but heard this for over 1 year and still nothing happened, do we need new routers as I know for the 30mb we def need new routers.

Cheers

They are sending an engineer out do do an install so I assume it will need a new router.

The old one is a cable modem (coaxial) and as far as I know the new one will be fibre?

Phil Scott said:
They are sending an engineer out do do an install so I assume it will need a new router.

The old one is a cable modem (coaxial) and as far as I know the new one will be fibre?

You'll get the new virgin superhub , combined modem/router all in one!

tolmie said:
I sure hope your right but heard this for over 1 year and still nothing happened, do we need new routers as I know for the 30mb we def need new routers.

Cheers

Depending on what modem you have it may handle 20mb. Your correct in saying the 30mb service requires a new modem, superhub!

Well I hope they upgrade too. Our exchange is getting BT Infinity towards the latter part of the year and they will be offering 80mb (currently 40mb) service cheaper than VM do for similar speeds.

Phil Scott said:

Are they fibre to the premis now. I thought it was still coaxial.

I think your find its fibre in the street up to your house and than coaxial from there onwards. Not sure why you need an engineer to come out as some people seem to get self install, mean they send you the new superhub and you install it yourself and just give virgin a phone to configure it for you at their end.

Ah ok. I thought BT was fibre to the cabinet but Virgin was fibre to the home. Maybe not then! (or maybe it is not literally fibre to the modem inside your house...)

I am not sure either why an engineer is required, but the install was free so I am not too bothered really! Only downside is they are coming at almost the end of February :eek:

How do you know that? Apparently at some stage this year all 10mb customers will be upgraded to 20mb atleast! You maybe one of the lucky ones who get a "fast tickle" and are upgraded first. This looks how it will go....
10mb will be 20mb
30mb will be 60mb
50mb will be 100mb.

And how do you know that?

Is it confirmed (read, official) or speculation/hope?

It makes no sense. 20mb doesn't exist in the current line up, and neither does 60mb (current line up; 10, 30, 50 and limited 100mb)

It also makes no sense to bump the 30mb and 50mb subscribers for free - they are paying for a current product, so why would VM bump them up to the next level, which are also current products, for free?

It was understandable when 2mb customers were bumped to 10mb as VM wanted to drop the 2mb service, but changing up 10mb to 20 (which doens't exist) doesn't make sense (likewise 30 to 60). Likewise, to move the 50mb subscribers, who are paying £30 p/m, to 100mb, which costs £40 p/m makes absolutely no business sense at all.

It makes no sense. 20mb doesn't exist in the current line up, and neither does 60mb (current line up; 10, 30, 50 and limited 100mb)

It also makes no sense to bump the 30mb and 50mb subscribers for free - they are paying for a current product, so why would VM bump them up to the next level, which are also current products, for free?

It was understandable when 2mb customers were bumped to 10mb as VM wanted to drop the 2mb service, but changing up 10mb to 20 (which doens't exist) doesn't make sense (likewise 30 to 60). Likewise, to move the 50mb subscribers, who are paying £30 p/m, to 100mb, which costs £40 p/m makes absolutely no business sense at all.

Matt. The whole Virgin Media structure doesn't make sense! I see loads of posts in cable forums showing the big differences to what people pay! Not that I'm moaning but I pay about £58 a month for basic phone, 20meg BB and XL TV with a V Box. Not once has Virgin offered me a deal. To get what I've got now I had to pretty much beg. I haven't got much choice here either until later on in the year when our exchange gets upgraded to Infinity! Going back to the speed increases I dont see anything mentioned for existing 20meg customers.

I've just been reading this & thinking the same?
Where does 20mb fit into this as it's currently what I'm on also. I'm happy with the service & speeds (19+ ave) but a nice bump to 30mb wouldn't go amiss.

bigtruck said:
I've just been reading this & thinking the same?
Where does 20mb fit into this as it's currently what I'm on also. I'm happy with the service & speeds (19+ ave) but a nice bump to 30mb wouldn't go amiss.

Thing is while the 20mb service is spot on with the speed the 30mb service gets less praise. I don't think the superhub helps this though. I'm not sure I'd want to move up mind.

I can add to this, tonight I ordered my tivo box, I asked the boy about 10mb going to 20mb, he said no he's not heard that is happening and doesnt see why they would when your lucky to get 10mb from a adsl line, right from the horses mouth.

They won't be saying that when BT start taking a bigger share of the cable market. As for VM staff half the time they don't know themselves. I've often heard about them not knowing there stuff when customers ask about their products and it's clearly displayed on their website.

Well I got a virgin 'tickle' last night saying my speed was going to be increased to 60meg, and thats from 20meg. So I guess others on 20meg will get the same upgrade. In that case in theory 10 should go to 20/30meg. Though for most it will mean a superhub modem/router, which I believe VM will give you for free.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom