Upgrading from NAD T741 - any advice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by oldbamboo, Sep 15, 2007.

1. oldbamboo

oldbamboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All,
    I have Q Acoustic 1050 floorstanders, and a NAD C542 Cd player. I've had the NAD T741 for about five years and it is at deaths door, remote doesnt work, volume knob has been yanked off and hidden by my son (bless!) The T741 was bought for peanuts off Richer years ago, and got me into the whole upgrade bug and hi-fi bug.
    The items in my system I am most interested in keeping and getting the most out of are my NAD CD player and the 1050 speakers. I think the concensus is that an AV Receiver, even NAD, makes a hash of stereo signals, so I'd be grateful if anyone out there could recommend an amplifier which will be a good match for this kit, especially the speakers as they are my most expensive component!
    TIA

2. Dusteh

Dusteh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think the obvious choice is to keep running with NAD, depending on your budget you could go for anything from the C320BEE for £150 to the C372 for £450. Even the cheapest NAD amp will drive your Q Acoustics without any problems. I'm using the power amp version of the 372 and I'm completely happy with it.

If you are willing to risk eBay its a good place to pick up mid-range NAD amps at sensible prices.

3. devilyfish

devilyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well i think it would be a question of what you listen to music wise. I tend to find that NAD amplifiers generally put a very faint curtain over the music and makes the sound very warm. This is okay if you enjoy classical music or country. But if you listen to anything with alot of get up and go like rock or even jazz then i would recommend someone like Rotel, maybe even a higher end marantz if the budget can stretch that far....

MrDevil