Upgrading from Marantz SR7010 to Denon AVC-A110 or adding dedicated amplifiers such as AVM Ovation SA 8.2?

spamjunkee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently upgrading my home cinema system. I now have Marantz SR7010 plus Monitor Audio Silver line of fronts, center, rear, and subwoofer speakers. I am planning to upgrade my speakers to Canton Reference 5K series - with 5K fronts, 9K rears, 50K centre and 50K sub. To really get most out of a higher end speaker set-up I am considering either
(a) upgarding my AVR to a Denon AVC-A110 or
(b) keeping my Marantz SR7010 and adding dedicated stereo amps before the front 5K speakers?

I can get a very good deal on the AVM Ovation SA 8.2 so this high-end amplifier would cost me just a bit more than the Denon AVC-A110, but I've never had a dedicated amplifier so I wonder if "just" the amplifier is worth the cost vs upgrading the entire AVR?

I'm turning to the experts here for some feedback / suggestions.

Many thanks in advance!

The first thing I'd do is ask if the AVM will work with a fixed input (cannot find a manual or see it in the recommended list of stereo amplifiers which work this way)

Stereo wise, it the AVM Ovation works that way, the Denon AVC-A110 is never going to complete for stereo performance levels although you may also find that the Marantz with the rest of the speakers is a little lost to being unable to keep up with the ability of that mighty 450w amp. So, even if you went down this round and created a HTBYPASS solution, you would be upgrading the Marantz very shortly afterwards as its completely outclassed and your ears would tell you every time you switching it on for movies

Read a little more on how the HTBYPASS works or other options on how to improve the stereo performances of your AV Receiver, even if you go for the Denon and find it to be lacking your expectations. I wrote an article for other members as it seems to be a frequent question. "How to improve..."

Now, I know you can set the volume on the AVM Ovation, run the room eq on the Marantz, but you'd have to set volume every time you want to use the marantz which is why the HTBYPASS system is so good as it takes the guess work of trying to balance the volume correctly by letting the Stereo Amplifier becoming a Power Amplifier on that input

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is ask if the AVM will work with a fixed input (cannot find a manual or see it in the recommended list of stereo amplifiers which work this way)

Stereo wise, it the AVM Ovation works that way, the Denon AVC-A110 is never going to complete for stereo performance levels although you may also find that the Marantz with the rest of the speakers is a little lost to being unable to keep up with the ability of that mighty 450w amp. So, even if you went down this round and created a HTBYPASS solution, you would be upgrading the Marantz very shortly afterwards as its completely outclassed and your ears would tell you every time you switching it on for movies

Read a little more on how the HTBYPASS works or other options on how to improve the stereo performances of your AV Receiver, even if you go for the Denon and find it to be lacking your expectations. I wrote an article for other members as it seems to be a frequent question. "How to improve..."

Now, I know you can set the volume on the AVM Ovation, run the room eq on the Marantz, but you'd have to set volume every time you want to use the marantz which is why the HTBYPASS system is so good as it takes the guess work of trying to balance the volume correctly by letting the Stereo Amplifier becoming a Power Amplifier on that input
So the AVM Ovation was actually recommended by the manufacturer of the speakers (Canton) - as a very good match.
Will try to read into this HTBYPASS - unfamiliar with the term.
The link "How to improve" takes me to your shop with the Denon AVC - but cannot find the How to improve article?

And maybe the key question: if the AVM ovation will drive my big Canton Reference 5K I only need the AVR to drive the remaining 50k centre and 9k rears and the 50k sub. ...For this purpose, would I see a significant benefit if I switch from Marantz (which is quite capable) to a Denon AVC A110? These would mainly come into effect for watching movies, so in terms of audio experience - old but good Marantz vs latest top-of-the-line Denon: would there be such an improvement that this is also a needed upgrade?
...I've already decided for the speakers and the power amps. So this AVR is a €5k question whether I need to add this or not. The overall package is getting very pricey ;)

Ha, somehow the wrong link was added. I've changed the link now, so if you click the "How to improve..." link at the above post, it now works :)

And maybe the key question: if the AVM ovation will drive my big Canton Reference 5K I only need the AVR to drive the remaining 50k centre and 9k rears and the 50k sub. ...For this purpose, would I see a significant benefit if I switch from Marantz (which is quite capable) to a Denon AVC A110? These would mainly come into effect for watching movies, so in terms of audio experience - old but good Marantz vs latest top-of-the-line Denon: would there be such an improvement that this is also a needed upgrade?
...I've already decided for the speakers and the power amps. So this AVR is a €5k question whether I need to add this or not. The overall package is getting very pricey ;)
The one thing you have to realise is both Denon and Marantz are cut from the same cloth as they use similar parts with Marantz offering a musical boast over the equivalent Denon

As you have already settled on the AVM Ovation (I think that's what you have said above), then if you do keep the Marantz and find its processing is insufficient, you can look at adding a DAC and run the amp in Pure-Direct mode which should enable you to hear the CD signal as mentioned in the article I've linked. There is always a way round to bring more musical improvements is one areas doesn't deliver

Perfect, many thanks! I will study the "how to improve" post thoroughly.
For now, I will pull the trigger and buy the Canton Reference K series speakers and the AVM Ovation SA 8.2 amp. The AVM will drive the front 5Ks and I will stick with my Marantz SR7010 to drive the rest of the speakers (rears, centre, sub, ceiling). Then we see how that goes...

Got to say, that AVM Ovation looks very special indeed. Might be the last one you ever buy if it lives up to the specifications :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom