Upgrading from KD-49X8305C

Jon1991

Novice Member
Hi all. Firstly thank you for taking your time to read and advise. It's very much appricated.

So I currently have a KD-49X8305C which I've had since 2015 in our main living room. It's a good TV however lacks HDR and isn't the brightest unit.

I'm current in a position to upgrade this and move this to the bed room. However I am unsure what to upgrade to.

My budget sits me around the £800 mark however I've found that this puts me between the budget midrange to the midrange category. I will be looking to make the purchase in November so I could wait to see what black friday / cyber Monday brings.

Firstly is it worth upgrading. My sights are set on a HDR TV which will be good in both movies and gaming. A TV that would compliment the new Xbox series X would be great. I would like local dimming to.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
First off you don't mention what size you're looking for.

My sights are set on a HDR TV which will be good in both movies and gaming.
It depends upon the size what you can get for your budget.

I would like local dimming to.
If it doesn't have local dimming it's not HDR capable. Without local dimming it just brightens up the whole screen and you'd be better avoiding 4K HDR content and just sticking with 1080p.

All new 4K TVs are HDR compatible, but as you say only the upper midrange models are really capable.

Jon1991

Novice Member
First off you don't mention what size you're looking for.

It depends upon the size what you can get for your budget.

If it doesn't have local dimming it's not HDR capable. Without local dimming it just brightens up the whole screen and you'd be better avoiding 4K HDR content and just sticking with 1080p.

All new 4K TVs are HDR compatible, but as you say only the upper midrange models are really capable.
Sorry I guess that would help. Currently looking for a 55 inch tv. Plus thank you. Didn't know that about local dinning. Every day is a learning day right ha.

Dodgexander

Consider a 2019 Sony XG9505 or XF9005 from there refurb site. They may not have them in stock now, but may when they refresh stock. Beware the stock goes fast though. More details here:

Buying new, especially at the moment isn't going to get you a proper HDR TV. The one that comes the closest is the Hisense U8Q. The closest in spec to the Hisense from Samsung or Sony is the Samsung Q90T or Sony XH9505 but you if you want to step down to less than ideal HDR you could also consider the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T/Q85T. These TVs are quite dim for HDR standards, and may have problems with some content more than others. All these are above budget, but hopefully Black Friday will have some nice reductions.

Jon1991

Novice Member
Consider a 2019 Sony XG9505 or XF9005 from there refurb site. They may not have them in stock now, but may when they refresh stock. Beware the stock goes fast though. More details here:
In regards to the "panel" lottery" should I expect a higher chance of concerns with referbed models?

Buying new, especially at the moment isn't going to get you a proper HDR TV. The one that comes the closest is the Hisense U8Q. The closest in spec to the Hisense from Samsung or Sony is the Samsung Q90T or Sony XH9505 but you if you want to step down to less than ideal HDR you could also consider the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T/Q85T. These TVs are quite dim for HDR standards, and may have problems with some content more than others. All these are above budget, but hopefully Black Friday will have some nice reductions.
I have had my eye on the Hisense U8Q, Some of the reviews online are good and it fits right into my price range. The area im in inst the brightest of rooms. That or a discounted x900H

Dodgexander

In regards to the "panel" lottery" should I expect a higher chance of concerns with referbed models?
The TVs may have been returned, or at fault any reason. They are repaired and sold as refurbished. In my own experience no, you don't stand any less of a chance of getting a good TV. You are also protected in the same way as buying new. So if you are unhappy with the TV you can return it within their return period.
I have had my eye on the Hisense U8Q, Some of the reviews online are good and it fits right into my price range. The area im in inst the brightest of rooms. That or a discounted x900H
The Hisense has HDR specs of TVs selling almost twice its price, but it does have some disadvantages with picture processing too. If you are looking for the very best HDR performance go for the Hisense, if you want better picture processing, go for the Sony. The Sony is more expensive, but a worse TV with HDR than the Hisense.

These are both 2020 models, and are expensive right now. The Sony especially will see a much bigger reduction in price over its shelf life.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom