Upgrading from Humax 9150T to 9300T

eludlow

Standard Member
I have had a 9150T for nearly a year now and am VERY happy with it.

Last week I got a new TV (Samsung SM2333HD) which has HDMI connectors.

My current 9150 is connected using SCART, whereas the 9300 could be connected using HDMI.

Am I likely to notice significant picture difference if I upgrade?

(The extra storage space would also be very useful!)

Thanks,
Ed Ludlow

spl23

To be honest, with SD Freeview, HDMI doesn't make much difference. It also has the disadvantage that you lose the automatic aspect ratio switching that SCART gives you.

If you need more storage, I'd suggest one of the Grade A 9200TBXs available from Humax Direct for £115 - I bought one last week to replace my older 9200T, and I'm very pleased with it. See HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

marksovereign

To be honest, with SD Freeview, HDMI doesn't make much difference. It also has the disadvantage that you lose the automatic aspect ratio switching that SCART gives you.

If you need more storage, I'd suggest one of the Grade A 9200TBXs available from Humax Direct for £115 - I bought one last week to replace my older 9200T, and I'm very pleased with it. See HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

Just bought exactly the same and agree you dont need hdmi for SD. good piece of kit for a great price.

Regards
Mark

eludlow

Standard Member
Blimey that's a good deal.

How do you find the USB connectivity?

To be honest I may just go with HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website as my PVR sits directly next to a PC I will link up to transfer programmes from if people think the USB link is good.

Would be interested to hear thoughts.

Thanks,
Ed

themagician

Standard Member

Ah that's a bummer, didn't know it did that. I wonder how much I will notice that when moving to a 16:9 TV with HDMI input..

spl23

The Grade A 9200 I received last week was completely indistinguishable from brand-new - I was a bit worried that it might be scratched or otherwise sub-standard, but I've bought brand-new kit that was in worse condition! I think the Grade A 9200s are only sold as Grade A because the front panel says that it is a 9500 rather than a 9200 - I guess Humax had a bunch of spare 9200 boards lying around and no 9200 cases to put them in. To be honest, if Humax hadn't included a note to explain this, I doubt I'd even have noticed...

I really missed auto aspect switching when I tried a 9300 - a lot of the output on ITV3, ITV4, Dave etc is in 4:3, and it was a real pain working out whether something was in the correct aspect and switching manually.

The USB functionality on the 9200 is ok - it's a bit slow, and you need to remember to tune to a channel that isn't broadcasting anything before you start a transfer, but it's very useful for archiving. There is a free command-line tool that works better than the supplied Humax software for the PC end - you can't just drag and drop from the Humax HDD, unfortunately.

Last edited:

eludlow

Standard Member
Interesting, thanks spl23. What's the quality and file size like when transferred to PC? And, very roughly, how long to copy a 30 min programme?

Ed

spl23

Quality is exactly as per broadcast - the MPEG transport stream file gets transferred to the PC as is. File size depends on the bitrate used by the broadcaster, but it averages out at around a gigabyte for an hour's programme. Transfer time is between 1/2 and 3/4 real time, so an hour's programme takes 30-45 minutes to transfer - the Humax's USB interface is rather slow, due to a lot of processor overhead at the Humax end.

The .ts format files you get can be renamed to .mpg, and will then play in WMP, among others. They can be converted to DVD with no loss of quality in the picture at all, and with either no quality loss in the sound (if you upconvert to linear PCM) or with a very small (not noticeable) drop in quality if you convert to Dolby. FYI, I use a combination of mpeg-vcr, DVD-lab and Project-X to produce MPEG files or DVDs from Humax files.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom