• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading from HD 4850 to HD 4870 - is it worth it?

kmark40

I currently have a HIS iceq 4 HD 4850 512mb and am looking to upgrade, at no great cost, to an overclocked HD 4870 1gb I game on a 1080p plasma, but am not able to game properly on the top games at that resolution with my current card.

Is it worth upgrading?

Cheers

kirk

Last edited:

rchads89

Banned
I currently have a HIS iceq 4 HD 4850 512mb and am looking to upgrade, at no great cost, to an overclocked HD 4870 1gb I game on a 1080p plasma, but am not able to game properly on the top games at that resolution with my current card.

Is it worth upgrading?

Cheers

kirk

I would say so yes, Take alook at the 4890 1GB also :smashin:

kmark40

cheers for that. The 4890, financially is pushing a llittle too far. If I push that far, I might as well push a bit further and get one of the next gen cards. Ultimately, I will then have spent twice as much as I'd planned!

kmark40

Went ahead and did it anyway. I got one of these

VTX 3D HD 4870 1GB for £116 inc p&p

cant find any reviews, but it comes with the same Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro cooler that i was toying with placing on an XFX branded card anyway.

UPDATE

does not come with the above cooler and is loud. my internet connection has also disappeared

Last edited:

kmark40

I'm not sure whether to start another thread about this.

I cannot get my LAN Internet to connect. I left the pc on last night as it did a virus scan. Overnight it performed a critical update of win7. This morning the Internet seemed to be fine, so I uninstalled the display drivers, turned the pc off, installed the new 4870 graphics card and turned it back on. On turning on, the pc has found the drivers already installed on my pc (I assume it's the same as the 4850 driver), but there was no Internet connection.

I have since restarted the pc a number of times and reinstalled the 4850. Still no Internet. Could this be the new graphics card?

djcla

Distinguished Member
If u have inboard graphics try removing drivers for new one and the card itself and see if it works. U could try a system restore to before win updates etc. Failing That remove the network card in device manager and reboot. Thee are just suggestions and to be tried at your own risk

kmark40

Cheers mate. I've done a number of system restores and my pc doesn't seem to be able install catalyst and the drivers. It's just relying the drivers already on the system. I've tried booting up vista and this doesn't connect either, which makese think it might be bios or hardware related.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom