1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from EP9ES to one of these - ideas or comments?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ash71, Jun 3, 2004.

1. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy. I'm looking for some advice on the following. I have a (very much loved) Sony SDPEP9 DD processor. Time has now come to replace it as I can't resist the new Dolby and DTS formats, analogue inputs, SACD/DVD-A compatibility etc.

The EP9 is feeding 3 Rotel RB971 power amps which I want to keep using. These in turn are driving 2 pairs of Monitor Audio Silver S6's and a Silver LCR centre speaker. There is a ASW100 sub in the mix also.

Right, to the point.
    I've shortlisted the following receivers to use as a pre amp/processor.
    Marantz SR7400, Sony STR DB2000 or Denon AVR2803.
    Any comments from owners of the above?

My research has shown the Denon to be a little behind spec compared to the other 2, still has great reviews thought.
    As these will also be used for 2 channel work some sort of Audio Direct option is a must. I'll be running a Marantz CD7300 via analogue into one of 'em and avoid all the digital processing but I'd still like to use the sub in this mode...a problem with the SR7400?
    Any one use any of these for SACD/DVD-A playback.
    I'd like the option of running a pair of speakers in a 2nd room independantly from whats going on in the main room (different source and independant volume would be nice!). Using the on board amps. I'm pretty sure the Sony can do this.. any one tried it.

If I opt for one of the above would the Rotel amps out proform the internal amps? I know they are rated at lower power, 70 watts per channel, then any of the above receivers but as they have there own (better?) transformers and dont share 1 transfomer for everything this must help eh?

A lot of questions there... sorry but all comments/suggestions/advice will be welcome.

Cheers guys
    Ash

2. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy again.
    I've managed to download the instruction books for the Sony DB2000 and Denon AVR2803 but can only find the German version for the Marantz SR7400.
    Anyone know where I can find an English version?

Cheers

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Ash

you current processor is much finer than you think and the power amps are pretty fine as well. Sure you are missing a few features at the moment but I think you might have spend some more money JUST to match what you currently have (DD). Just be careful and demo AT HOME.

5. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I kind of agree with both of you guys, a pre amp would be ideal but they all seem to be on the wrong side of £1000 now days which makes using a receiver in this role seem like a bargin. The new NAD A/V pre amp looks interesting must keep an eye on it. Rotels A/V pro's just too much.

The sony has given me 7 years of faultless service and will eventually be "retired" to another room to live with my LD player! I love its sound and its survived many new component upgrades so I wont let it go.

I'm torn between keeping it and replacing it as I feel its is now holding some of my gear back in that I cant use them to there full potential....all fun and games trying to upgrade eh?

Oh, turns out the Sony DB2000 has plenty of Multi Channel inputs but no Pre Outs..

Anymore suggestions?
    Cheers

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have you looked at the second hand market for a Pre-amp?? Might be able to pick up a bargain there.:D

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have one of these Sony boxes and there performance is pretty exceptional. Pop the lid and you will see why, to better it I would say you have to go processor and probably secondhand (Tag?) or tell yourself it is for the 'features' ;)