Upgrading from Denon AVR-2300W

mrajgor

Standard Member
Hi all,

So after a few years I think I’m ready to upgrade from my entry level Denon- AVR-2300W.

My budget is £2k or so, but happy to spend less if there is one which is great value.

I’ve been looking at the Marantz SR7015 or the NAD T778.

The speakers are currently some budget Canton Movie 75’s but am slowly upgrading them to the Q Acoustics 3000 series; already have the 3090Ci centre and B12 Sub, the 3050i floorstanders are next.

Would be great to get some recommendations.

Gerry557

I wonder if it might be worth looking at pre and power amps combo instead.

Although that will not be as cheap. Why not another Denon how many speakers will you need to drive. The Marantz is well regarded on here, read the review. Its the sister to the denon anyway. some say it sound slightly better with music than the denon.

Generally you pay more for power, channels and room correction.

gibbsy

Is the budget for the AV amp or combined with the speakers? Will it be used for music as well as film and TV? The NAD and the equivalent Denon (X6700) are both over £2K and both are perhaps over spec'd for the QAs. The Marantz and possibly the Denon X4700 would be a better match for them as at 6 ohms they don't need that much power to drive them.

mrajgor

Standard Member
Is the budget for the AV amp or combined with the speakers? Will it be used for music as well as film and TV? The NAD and the equivalent Denon (X6700) are both over £2K and both are perhaps over spec'd for the QAs. The Marantz and possibly the Denon X4700 would be a better match for them as at 6 ohms they don't need that much power to drive them.
So the budget is just for the AV amp and yes will be used for music, PS5 and anything TV related. Interesting there, thanks for the recommendation. I also don't want to be in the position where if ever I upgraded my speakers, I would need to upgrade my amp again, so I do want to take into account some future-proofing here. Would you still recommend the Denon X4700 or Marantz SR7015?

gibbsy

They are both future proofed somewhat with HDMI 2.1, although that is still to be sorted out, along with HDR10+ pass through. I would say the Denon would be the best for film as it has great sound steering. The Marantz with it's HDAM circuitry would be the preferred choice for music. Both in reality are very good amps.

Personally I'd go for the Denon because my music system is separate as I have a stereo amp with HT by-pass. I'm on my fifth Denon amp and I cannot find fault with them apart from a poor stereo music performance. Perhaps I've got muscle memory from setting them up.

Only real thing against the Marantz is that bloody port hole.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom