1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Denon 1802 - why??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ajf, Jul 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Denon 1802 which I purchased about 2 years ago very cheaply and seems to do the job quite nicely.
    However there are quite a lot of newer amps than mine being sold as they are upgraded.
    So, what advantages would there be to upgrade to a higher and/or newer model?
    Just wondering what the more recent or higher specced amps can do that mine doesn't?

If I did upgrade is it worth buying a brand new mid range amp or buying a second hand, but top range amp about 2 years old?

To be used with B&W 620 fronts, B&W 601 rears and CC6 centre plus soon arriving CHT8 sub - and yes I know I should have saved for a higher spec sub :)

Thanks!
    Andrew

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I upgraded from an older amp Sony STR-DB930. It did 5.1 DD and DTS quite well but I do more than watch DVD's. For TV, pro logic II (and its DTS equivalent) are very effective, and music can be enhance by the surround processing available to it now. Of course that totally ignores basic improvements that show a modern amp (thinking of Denon in particular) sounds better than their older models. The earlier comments make a modern amp the best choice. The latter comment could be acheived by getting a top amp from the same generation.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The 1802 was an excellent amp (I used to own one) and unless you're planning on spending a fair bit more then I don't think you'll get that much of an improvement.

Look for things like more power (the 1802 is a bit weedy for your speakers), better bass-management, component video switching and 6/7 channels if they're of interest. :)