Upgrading from DDR4 to DDR5, are there still any disadvantages, things to consider?

PhillyG76

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my pc set up within the next few years. At the moment I have an Asus z370-G with 9900K cpu, EVGA rtx2080xc, 64gb Corsair vengeance ram 3,200MHZ overclocked to 3,600mhz, the 9900k is clocked at 5.1GHZ. Most games run fine at 1440p on max settings. But at 4k the best I can get with max settings is 20-35FPS. If I lower MSAA to x4 or switch off I can get around 40FPS. And lots of people say you don’t really need MSAA at 4k, but I find on some games, details like grass and other details in fields looks I guess basic, to the point I’d rather play in 1440p with MSAA at x8. But thinking of upgrading, but when DDR5 first came out it seemed the latency was very poor. Is this still the case? Because I don’t consider my ram to be much of an issue. But some games like Watch dogs legion, if I play in 4k and have Ray tracing more than the lowest setting, the game often crashes. Without Ray Tracing, in 4k max settings, the frame isn’t great but only really noticeable when steering around corners. Obviously a new GPU is needed, but can anyone give an idea of the minimum CPU to get to avoid bottle necks if I was to get something like the RTX4080 (although for the high price, I’m considering spending the few extra hundred and getting the 4090. Or trying to find more about AMD. On the other hand, and mainly curiosity, is the 3080,3080ti or 3090 worth considering of prices drop? I’m guessing to have fairly good 4k gaming, it’d need to be the 3090, but what sort of CPU? I’m starting to think though, to get good 4k gaming and especially with Ray tracing, you’d need at least the rtx4080, although it seems the 4090 does struggle with Cyberpunk 2077, yet the 3090 was marketed for 8K HDR? Lots of people are saying they’re going to ditch NVIDIA and with these prices I want to, but I’d always consider them best for Ray tracing. And I’ve always liked Intel and never considered AMD. But it now seems Intel are catching them up now. Also who do you consider best brand for motherboards? I always used to think Asus was considered the best brand by most people. And the build quality I can’t fault. But did have a couple of problems when updating the bios and not being able to overclock the ram and one time not even being able to run at normal speed. I emailed Asus and they just advised that only update if needed. But if I had a GPU with re-sizeable bar then I’d need it. Sorry rambling on. Easiest way is to ask is there an easy way to determine potential gpu bottlenecks from certain CPU’s. Anything else to consider. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I genuinely wish I could help with something.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom