1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Component to HDMI/DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi

Can people give me your experience of the picture improvements when upgrading from Component to a digital connection, HDMI or DVI.
    I own the Benq PE5120 and find the progressive scan picture quality very good from Component, but I was wondering if an upgrade to a dvd player with a digital connection be worth the extra cost.

Thanks

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks I'll take a look.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have a very modest Panasonic DVD-S75 which has a very good picture through component as well as a wealth of user adjustments to improve the picture quality even further.
    But I too wanted to see how much better DVI would look on my Infocus 4805. So I bought a Denon DVD-1910 and hooked it up through the supplied DVi cable.
    The results were very disappointing. Upscaled to 1080, the image 'shimmered' and was not really watchable. Switching to the projector's native resolution of 480p I found the image cropped at the sides by a hazy boarder which again was unacceptable. I finally settled on 720p which was the best of a bad bunch. The image though, looked no sharper or detailed than my Panny and the colours were considerably subdued and pastel looking compared to the vivid colours from my Panasonic.
    Suffice to say, I sold the Denon and will be sticking with my Panasonic until HD-DVD / Blu-ray comes out next year

5. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used my 1910 through DVI and like oakleyspatz found the image awful, I am currently using its component output which is very good! I am going to wait for HD-DVD AND Bluray.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I think I will hold back for a while then for HD :)

Thanks all.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :smashin: Component ain't dead yet!

Just to emphasise the 745 via DVI is no slouch, in isolation I can see why people rave over DVI. All that D->A->D being dispensed with - it must be better.. right...? WRONG!

"on my setup" :D ...PJ