Roshni

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade from the Canon 650d to another Canon dslr (recommendations welcome) or perhaps to a compact system camera (as a lighter body, especially when taking to weddings or on holiday).

I'll mainly be using it for photo, with the occasional video.

Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Obvious choices for crop sensor are - 760D > 80D > 7DMkII in order of cost/complexity.

You do not say whether you have invested a lot in lenses or what they are but if they work on a 650D they will work on the above.

Going up the tree (cost wise and learning curve) to Full Frame is the 6D > 5DmkIII > 6DmkII >5DmkIV but this may mean changing lenses if you EFS lenses for your 650D.

The Canon M series offers some compatibility with the EFS lenses via an adaptor but is basically a 650D in a small body (with lower quality AF) but has some dedicated lenses.

If you do not need a long zoon go for the Sony RX100, close to APSC DSLR quality in a compact camera.

Lots of option but gives you a start to think about.

Obvious choices for crop sensor are - 760D > 80D > 7DMkII in order of cost/complexity.

You do not say whether you have invested a lot in lenses or what they are but if they work on a 650D they will work on the above.

Going up the tree (cost wise and learning curve) to Full Frame is the 6D > 5DmkIII > 6DmkII >5DmkIV but this may mean changing lenses if you EFS lenses for your 650D.

The Canon M series offers some compatibility with the EFS lenses via an adaptor but is basically a 650D in a small body (with lower quality AF) but has some dedicated lenses.

If you do not need a long zoon go for the Sony RX100, close to APSC DSLR quality in a compact camera.

Lots of option but gives you a start to think about.

Hi, many thanks for you response. I only have an 18-200mm lens, and the rest I've borrowed or rented. Possibly looking at jumping to full frame, but I know they're a lot heavier to carry around and the cost

What does "upgrade" mean to you?

Do you shoot in auto all the time? Are you planning to buy more lenses this time?

With Canon at the moment you have the M5 and M6 (mirrorless), 200D, 800D, 77D and 80D all of which have exactly the same sensor in (so fundamentally will take the same pictures) but go from over £1,000 (inc. kit lens) with a body weight of 730g (80D) down to £679 (inc. kit lens) with a body weight of about 450g (200D).

The difference is then fundamentally (though not entirely) ergonomics. All of those will give you better pictures than you get now, but the 80D would be a bit of a waste of money if you were only ever going to shoot in auto.

With no real investment in lenses I'd be really tempted to go for Fuji or Sony in your shoes. Canon have great lenses that are generally cheaper than the other brands on a like for like basis - but you pay more for the bodies vs what you get in them and the 6D MkII was a real let down for a lot of people (such as me).

I shoot in manual mainly, although automatic on occasion. This time I do plan on buying more lenses as I now have the time to enjoy photography.

I have heard good things about Fuji, Sony and Panasonic but am a bit reluctant as I have not used them before (aside from the odd compact camera back in the day).

You say smaller and fullframe. Fullframe mirrorless bodies are quite small, but the lenses are big, so there isn't a massive benefit there.

Your 650d is quite a good camera, but an 18-200 mm lens is not going to bring out it's full capabilities. I'd suggest you keep it and get a few good lenses.

If you must go smaller, and fast moving subjects and tracking etc isn't a big thing for your shooting style, I'd look at an Olympus EM5 mk ii. It had weather sealing if bought with correct lenses, is small, had a glut of great lenses and has inbuilt body stabilization that works with video. The smaller sensor has very good image quality and the lenses are small ( I had the EM5, the mk ii supposed to upgrade most features)

Why was the 6d a let down if you don't mind me asking

A lack of progression without a reduction in price.

The two big obvious things are no 4K and dated sensor tech (e.g. dynamic range https://petapixel.com/2017/07/20/canon-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range-big-disappointment/ and noise https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/canon-6d-vs-6d-ii-heres-high-iso-noise-comparison/ ).

The improvements over the 6d are pretty modest given its been 5 years. I'm sure its still a great camera - but it doesn't really feel like Canon feels the need to produce something competitive.

I went from a 550D (very similar to the 650D) to a 6D (mk1) but I am Ok with carrying around a DSLR all the time. It is a bit bigger but not much but even though it is fundamentally the same tech it has been a bit of a learning curve to get used to it. It is less forgiving of technique and also shows up issues with lenses more but when you get it right it is great. The standard walk about lens (24-105) is still pretty big on it through. As said, the 6D Mk2 is not much of a big step up so I would save the money and put it into better glass so long as you are happy to buy second hand rather then new. 6D with the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC is a good combination. For long lenses I have a 70-200 but will probably be moving up to a 100-400 (possibly the new Sigma) in the future as 200 is not actually that long on a FF.

Snerkler will be probably along and suggest the Nikon D750 if you are looking at FF, this seems to be a good allrounder but will need you to buy into another platform. Again it is not small so there are always compromises.

If you have got deep pockets have a look at some of Dancook's latest posts, he went for the Leica full frame mirrorless compact system - Leica SL // Leica SL-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

For slightly better pocketability/performance the 200D and the 24 f2.8 pancake is good if you can live with a fixed lens. Add the 40 f2.8 pancake and you have an interesting combo and if you want you can still use your 18-200 if you feel the need. That said don't expect the quality to be a massive jump, as with all canon the changes are very incremental/evolutionary.

You say smaller and fullframe. Fullframe mirrorless bodies are quite small, but the lenses are big, so there isn't a massive benefit there.

Your 650d is quite a good camera, but an 18-200 mm lens is not going to bring out it's full capabilities. I'd suggest you keep it and get a few good lenses.

If you must go smaller, and fast moving subjects and tracking etc isn't a big thing for your shooting style, I'd look at an Olympus EM5 mk ii. It had weather sealing if bought with correct lenses, is small, had a glut of great lenses and has inbuilt body stabilization that works with video. The smaller sensor has very good image quality and the lenses are small ( I had the EM5, the mk ii supposed to upgrade most features)

Thank you for the advice, what lens would you recommend over the 18-200mm instead?

Thank you for the advice, what lens would you recommend over the 18-200mm instead?
I'd recommend keeping it for the moment as it's a great jack of all trades.

It's hard to go wrong with a 50mm lens on a crop camera. Canon do a 50mm f1.8 STM lens that is inexpensive and well regarded, I'd be inclined to try this one out

@Roshni good advice above. Which lens to get depends on what pictures you want to get?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom